Inventions To Thank Pagans For

I have WHAT in my yard? :

As for the definition of pagan: does pagan still cover ALL polytheistic religions today?? Would you call Hindis pagan?? I would not have, but I am open to the idea.

In today's common parlance, a pagan is anyone whose beliefs are different.

Thus, a Hindu in India is not a pagan, but a Hindu in the US is a pagan. And of course, depending on who is using the term pagan, it can mean 'anyone whose beliefs are different from my own'. Or, when used as a self-reference, it can mean 'my beliefs are not mainstream'.

The word has entirely different meanings depending on who is using it.

If my aunt were to call me a pagan, I'd take it as an insult, as she defines pagan to mean 'anyone who doesn't believe as I do and is thus a complete moron who is going to hell'.
If my Wiccan friend were to call me a pagan, I'd point out the term really isn't applicable, as I am not part of any polytheistic faith.

But I occasionally call myself a pagan, as some of my beliefs and practices are not particularly orthodox and have their roots in more native beliefs rather than anything I learned at the church. For instance, good booze has a soul and you can insult a good sipping whiskey by adulterating it with mixers, also, on judgment day you will be suspended headfirst into a barrel of all the liquor you've let go to waste and if you drown, to hell with you. I also believe that there is a gremlin in my car that causes all sorts of problems to occur but knocks it off the moment the mechanic is trying to duplicate the issue, and who used to make my cell phone only get reception when my mother was calling.​

I just found this thread and LOVE IT.
Going back to the original topic I just wanted to say "You're Welcome"
big_smile.png

Quote:
clap.gif

Maybe Champagne was invented by monks, but I've made sparkling Mead which is only possible to make if it has the right yeast and is bottled at just the right moment in time, presumably this is true of sparkling cider too... so since it can happen through good planning, OR by accident, the Pagans did invent at least the process. When it happens by accident, it's generally due to wild yeasts 'contaminating' your must... when it happens due to planning, it's because you used the 'right' yeast and process! ...suspicious no? You gotta think that lots of batches of 'sparkling' mead or cider gets the title of being "planned that way", when the first bottle top 'pops'!
lol.png

Well, I don't know if anyone pointed to this interesting "Pagan" holiday in Ireland, but if they havn't look up "WREN DAY". It's around the time of christmas, probably yet another reason that ST. Patrick & Catholic church made Christmas around the end of December, and it has elements of Halloween and Christmas in it. They used to kill thousands of wrens for this event. There are some videos about it on YouTube that you wouldn't believe.
(I hope that works)

Quote:
The Ottoman Empire's official religion was Islam. Definitely NOT a pagan empire.

Would Zoroastrianism be considered pagan? Even though it is pretty much Christianity with different names (God = Ahura Mazda, Satan = Ahriman, Jesus = Mithras)

Back
Top Bottom