Inventions To Thank Pagans For

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I have read the Stark book. At one point the local school district was arguing evolution and it was cited as a reference. I have read the bible the Q'ran (but not the Hadith), the book of Mormon, the Scientology book - it just was called scientology - I will read any book that is important to another group of people's way of perceiving the universe around them. That does not mean that I believe them to be correct.

The truest sign of intelligence is the ability to hold contradictory ideas in your head. So I read Stark and think his history is deeply flawed and his science is total gibberish. But, that is my opinion. Some of his scientific points have one grain of truth in an entire loaf of nonsense. He reminds me of Glenn Beck.

I did not know the Susquehanna was the 2nd oldest river.... on what is this based? Geologic evidence? I live relatively close and would love to pass this on to my kids.

BTW, once when explaining the concept of transmogrification to some one from another religion I explained that to many christians it is symbolic, but catholic dogma says that the bread and wine actually become the flesh and blood of christ. He was appalled. He said, "But then if you eat it that's cannibalism!" I was taken aback having been raised catholic and never really seeing it that way, but I had trouble refuting his perspective.

from wikipedia.org
Geologically, the river is extremely ancient, often regarded as the oldest or second oldest major system in the world.[citation needed] It is far older than the mountain ridges through which it turns, most of which were formed in uplift events of the early Cenozoic era. Like the Hudson, Delaware and Potomac rivers, the basin was well-established in the flat plains that existed during the Mesozoic era.[2] There is evidence that the flow of the ancient Susquehanna was established early enough that it predated the Appalachian orogeny over 300 million years ago, meaning that the river was in existence well before Pangea broke up and formed the Atlantic Ocean.[citation needed]

Before the end of the last ice age, the Susquehanna was a much longer river. The Chesapeake Bay constituted its lower valley before it was flooded by rising waters at the conclusion of the Pleistocene, a formation known as a ria.​

Quote:
Anyone who isn't part of a monotheistic religion.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am out of tea.
hit.gif

Why didn't I read your post before I went to the store.

Quote:
1325–75; ME < ML, LL pāgānus worshiper of false gods, orig. civilian (i.e., not a soldier of Christ), L: peasant, n. use of pāgānus rural, civilian, deriv. of pāgus village, rural district (akin to pangere to fix, make fast); Religious sense is often said to derive from conservative rural adherence to the old gods after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word in this sense predates that period in Church history, and it is more likely derived from the use of paganus in Roman military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which Christians (Tertullian, c.202; Augustine) picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (e.g. milites "soldier of Christ," etc.). Applied to modern pantheists and nature-worshippers from 1908. Paganism is attested from 1433.

See also: hedonist, infidel, heathen, iconoclast, barbarian, and unbeliever

The info about the susquehanna is very cool - thanks!!!!

As for the definition of pagan: does pagan still cover ALL polytheistic religions today?? Would you call Hindis pagan?? I would not have, but I am open to the idea.

I was thinking Hindis and Buddhists should be included in there- as they are complicated with many "diety" like figures.

The info about the susquehanna is very cool - thanks!!!!

Oh I love that kind of stuff. Thanks for posting.​

Back
Top Bottom