Is it too cold for my girlies?

Mys Lu

Hatching
Mar 23, 2021
I have 4 lil pullets... Ive had them for 5 weeks 3 days. I have acclimated the brooder accordingly and they are now at room temp (their brooder reads 70.1 on one side and 68.6 on the side they are hanging out at).
They are very feathered and growing like weeds! My question is this... They are getting to be way too big for their brooder and looking quite cramped. The temps outside are about 30 degrees right now (about 11pm). I have their coop set up in the garage for the time being- would it be ok to put them in the coop? I have a heat lamp going and the temps are registering between 48- 62 degrees... I dont want to put them into shock. Any help is greatly appreciated!

At almost 6 weeks , they should be feathered out quite well. I would place them in their coop, and observe them. You mentioned the heat lamp inside coop. If you see them all huddled together, especially under the heat source, then they are still somewhat cold. If they are all running around in the total area that is 48 and above, then they can handle the environment. Make sure they have plenty of feed available all the time. (and water) How is your coop placed in your garage?? Is there daylight available to them?? For the night time chickens do like to roost with a full crop. This keeps their bodies generating heat as they consume the calories.
Another suggestion, is to place then outdoors for short periods of time when temps are mild. Don't know your location, but I have been getting some mild temps recent days. 60's and 50's This acclimates them to the current temps.
Use a dog crate to keep them predator safe if you are not there watching. Also to keep from escaping/wandering off unintentionally.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

At almost 6 weeks , they should be feathered out quite well. I would place them in their coop, and observe them. You mentioned the heat lamp inside coop. If you see them all huddled together, especially under the heat source, then they are still somewhat cold. If they are all running around in the total area that is 48 and above, then they can handle the environment. Make sure they have plenty of feed available all the time. (and water) How is your coop placed in your garage?? Is there daylight available to them?? For the night time chickens do like to roost with a full crop. This keeps their bodies generating heat as they consume the calories.
Another suggestion, is to place then outdoors for short periods of time when temps are mild. Don't know your location, but I have been getting some mild temps recent days. 60's and 50's This acclimates them to the current temps.
Use a dog crate to keep them predator safe if you are not there watching. Also to keep from escaping/wandering off unintentionally.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you so much for the info! To answer your questions- our high has been and is expected to be (at least for the next 10 days) is the high 30s. There is too much snow for them to run around outside at the moment, so that one is out unfortunately. The garage doesnt have any daylight that is beneficial for them. I have a feeder that holds 3 full cups of feed and the water is the same.
They are still in the brooder in the house- with no additional heat source, and do well during the day, but at night they still seem to want to cuddle. They are fairly feathered, although some more than others...

Back
Top Bottom