Is there a way that you can incubate eggs with out getting roosters

What’s Op ?
Original poster=you
Ok thank you, I read somewhere that if you let a hen hatch out her eggs you will get more females than if you incubated them. Is that true?
Complete hogwash.
You need to get rid of your boys if you're not working on it already. They'll hurt your girls.

No; it's an old wive's tale. I've hatched out hundreds of chicks using incubators and allowing hens to hatch them and there's no difference. I raise heritage dual purpose breeds just because of the immediate overabundance of roosters; fortunately, they are delicious.
Ok thank you, I read somewhere that if you let a hen hatch out her eggs you will get more females than if you incubated them. Is that true?

Hi, I incubated eggs in the spring and I got four roosters and four hens. I’d love too incubate more eggs but I am done with roosters.so is there a way to incubate eggs with out getting any roosters?
1. Pay thousands of dollars to clone your favorite hen.

2. Buy Crested Cream Legbar, and if bred true, you should be able to get rid of roosters immediately after hatching, because they have a different feather color than the hens.

1. Pay thousands of dollars to clone your favorite hen.

2. Buy Crested Cream Legbar, and if bred true, you should be able to get rid of roosters immediately after hatching, because they have a different feather color than the hens.
As do Red Sexlink. Getting rid of cockerels isn’t as easy as it sounds, unless you’re OK with the crockpot

As do Red Sexlink. Getting rid of cockerels isn’t as easy as it sounds, unless you’re OK with the crockpot
I've been given dozens of roosters by people who've given up on "finding them a good home". As long as they're not raggedy, scrawny old ones, I'm happy to take them. I'm up front about their destiny.

My freezers stay pretty full.

you should be able to get rid of roosters immediately after hatching, because they have a different feather color than the hens

If you do breed in such a way that you can tell the boys from the girls right after hatching, getting rid of them means destroying the male chicks immediately. It takes a pretty hard heart. I assume you do not have a market for older cockerels.

There’s an interesting YouTube theory that you can hatch more hens by raising the temp on your incubator (male/female is genetically set at fertilization, this theory mainly hypothesizes that more of your female eggs hatch and some of your male eggs don’t finish developing). Not sure it holds water, the stats vary significantly by hatch and you’d have to hatch a lot of eggs to get a statistical difference if it did work. I hatched 2 sets of quail, had 4/5 male for one batch and 13/17 female in another hatch! So much for 50/50!

Back
Top Bottom