Is this a bad idea?

SilkieCanada

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
calgary
Well I wanted to see what you guys think of my idea. Where I live bylaw restricts my chicken hobby. I am considering buying a plot of land 1.5 hours from my house. Setting it up so that I can keep my chickens there but not actually living there myself. Putting some cameras with web access, automating feed and watering. Visiting on weekends. Sadly I cant afford to purchase land nearer to my house. Renting an acreage is another option but Im not too big on renting it. Anything thats close by, the rent alone costs more than the purchase price of the land thats 1.5 hours away. What are your thoughts? Is this a stupid idea, can it be done?

Last edited by a moderator:
How would that work in the winters? I don't know what kind of snow and cold you get there.

Google "tumbleweed homes". Read the story of Jay Shafer. He got work watching a lady's orchard. You could get a chicken watchman. I'm thinking of building one of these tumbleweed homes this summer. This won't make sense till you see them. Or go on the "tiny house blog"

What benefit would you be getting from your chickens, having them that far away?
What happens if there is an emergency, either for the chickens, or you and you are not able to get there?
When I moved to college, I was an hour and a half away from home, and I decided I would go home every weekend to be with my horses. After a couple months, I found my horses and I hardly even knew each other any more, I was getting no where with training, and they became a chore rather than an escape. I ended up moving back home and commuting (it was cheaper than boarding) but my point is that what is the point of having an animal where you can't enjoy it? It might as well be someone else's pet if it's not even in the same county!
I'm sorry that you aren't able to have more chickens where you are, but unfortunately I do not think this is the way to go. I think you will have to find some other way to enjoy chickens. Is there perhaps another chicken fancier closer by that you can go visit on the weekends? Or are there shows nearby?
Good luck to you, I hope you find a way to enjoy more chickens!

The idea would not be good for me. I'm raising chickens for their eggs and occasionally the meat (extra roos). So to travel that distance twice a day would not be something I would want to do every day.
Also, I'm don't know where you live, but the weather here can be extreme at times (well most of the time) and immediate action is sometimes needed. I would hate to be iced in and something happen to my chickens and all I could do was to watch them.
But that is just me and everyone is different.

Yeah, that's just too far and too risky. With how chickens are with kicking bedding around, the waters get gross quick. If you wanted auto waters with the nipples on them, then that's a water connection and all kinds of expense. The fencing, the locks, all the added security needed with the absence of a babysitter... even still left vulnerable to theft through the use of tin snips or bolt cutters. If the land is cheap, chances are that means it's out in the middle of no where, with different predators. Like bear? That means electrified fencing and all.

As much as I would like to expand, I have to wait till we move. I've heard too many horror stories from people renting pasture for their horses and strangers leaving gates open, visiting neighbors when the owner isn't there, horses running fence and getting injured and no one out there to catch it early, all manner of things. And horses don't even have to worry about raccoons, hawks, opossums, not near what a chicken has to contend with.

Patience, and saving money to afford something closer.

My animals are on the same 100acre farm but driving to feed the ones that arent right at my house takes a little of the joy out of it. I am working to get everything within walking distance.

I cant imagine that working, mine are in my back yard and Im always checking on them....there is to much to go wrong, mostly predators, feeders and waterers could go empty, sickness.....no way, that is just way to far away unless you are willing to pay someone to check in on them

Back
Top Bottom