Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Culled Tiger this morning. Knew I would have to cull one or more when at least two cockerels were evident. Had hoped to grow to a more eating size, but he was showing early signs of human aggression and I had seen him be a butt-head to a couple pullets. One strike could have allowed time. Not two.
I have a pen full of mellow roosters you can choose from. All good eating size 😁

I have three pips! Guys, these are Finally! the very first chicks I've ever hatched! I'm pretty happy about it so far, and man, I just hope they make it. My kid is doing ice skating camp this week, so I won't really be around all day to watch - hoping that turns out not to be a bad thing...

Attachments

• 20240617_181004.jpg
    20240617_181004.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240617_181157.jpg
    20240617_181157.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240617_181321.jpg
    20240617_181321.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 4
We have a chick! And a feisty one, at that!
Congratulations! They’re all beautiful!
Should I put some water and marbles in there while it finishes fluffing out?
Probably irrelevant to answer now, but they can live off of the egg yolk for 24hrs so there’s no need to put food/water in there with them

Probably irrelevant to answer now, but they can live off of the egg yolk for 24hrs so there’s no need to put food/water in there with them
Thanks all the same! DH was really pressuring me to move them and wouldn't believe me that they would be fine to be left alone in there for the day. He was adamant that they needed to get transferred into a brooder with access to water so they didn't get dehydrated.

Mind you, he doesn't actually know anything about chickens or hatching. He's just going by, "common sense." His stress made the whole thing not quite as much fun for me in the MOTN, but I won't worry about that now, because him getting me up in a panic at 1AM is the only reason I got to watch! Lol I guess I might have seen the last one that came closer to 530AM, but it was still pretty cool to just witness the whole thing. :)

Thanks all the same!
Of course!

DH was really pressuring me to move them and wouldn't believe me that they would be fine to be left alone in there for the day. He was adamant that they needed to get transferred into a brooder with access to water so they didn't get dehydrated.
I’ve been in similar situations, as long as the person means well it doesn’t bother me

Mind you, he doesn't actually know anything about chickens or hatching. He's just going by, "common sense." His stress made the whole thing not quite as much fun for me in the MOTN,
Lol. It is a fair assumption if you don’t know about birds. It’s nice that he was concerned for them.

but I won't worry about that now, because him getting me up in a panic at 1AM is the only reason I got to watch! Lol I guess I might have seen the last one that came closer to 530AM, but it was still pretty cool to just witness the whole thing. :)
There’s always a bright side! Glad you were able to watch everything, nothing beats that experience

Plus, they really don't like to shoot marbles until they are at least 3-4 days old

Back
Top Bottom