Jersey giant/ brown leghorn cross

E flowers

Chirping
Sep 4, 2023
I'm curious about breeding a jersey giant roo to some brown leghorn hens. Does anybody have some pictures of what they'd look like? Or if you have any do you know how heavy they are or how much meat is on them?
Also are they still flighty and good foragers? Are they uniform in color/pattern? How big and what color are their eggs?

I'm curious about breeding a jersey giant roo to some brown leghorn hens. Does anybody have some pictures of what they'd look like? Or if you have any do you know how heavy they are or how much meat is on them?
Also are they still flighty and good foragers? Are they uniform in color/pattern? How big and what color are their eggs?
About color/pattern, all chicks will probably be black, but they may develop some amount of leakage as they grow (other colors in various places.) I expect them to be fairly uniform in appearance.

Females from this cross will probably lay light brown eggs.

For each trait that both parents have, the chicks will most likely have that trait too (single comb, yellow feet with no feathers or extra toes, no crest on the head, etc.)

Unfortunately I don't know the answers to your other questions.

About color/pattern, all chicks will probably be black, but they may develop some amount of leakage as they grow (other colors in various places.) I expect them to be fairly uniform in appearance.

Females from this cross will probably lay light brown eggs.

For each trait that both parents have, the chicks will most likely have that trait too (single comb, yellow feet with no feathers or extra toes, no crest on the head, etc.)

Unfortunately I don't know the answers to your other questions.
What about a white jersey giant roo? Would most of the offspring turn out white or brown? Which is the more dominant color?

What about a white jersey giant roo? Would most of the offspring turn out white or brown? Which is the more dominant color?
From what I know of the genetics of White Jersey Giants, the chicks should still be black.

The difficult thing with "white" in chickens is that several different genes can cause it. There is a dominant gene that turns black into white (called Dominant White). There is a dominant gene that turns red/gold shades into white (called Silver). There is a recessive gene that turns everything into white (called recessive white.)

I am pretty sure White Jersey Giants have recessive white. Because that is a recessive gene, the effects will not be visible in the chicks from your cross. But apart from the recessive white gene, the white Jersey Giants have all the same color genes as Black Jersey Giants, and the black is dominant over the genes that cause the color of Brown Leghorns, which is why you should get black chicks.

From what I know of the genetics of White Jersey Giants, the chicks should still be black.

The difficult thing with "white" in chickens is that several different genes can cause it. There is a dominant gene that turns black into white (called Dominant White). There is a dominant gene that turns red/gold shades into white (called Silver). There is a recessive gene that turns everything into white (called recessive white.)

I am pretty sure White Jersey Giants have recessive white. Because that is a recessive gene, the effects will not be visible in the chicks from your cross. But apart from the recessive white gene, the white Jersey Giants have all the same color genes as Black Jersey Giants, and the black is dominant over the genes that cause the color of Brown Leghorns, which is why you should get black chicks.
Ok thanks!

What would happen if I used a Buff Brahma or Bielefelder in place of the Jersey?

What would happen if I used a Buff Brahma or Bielefelder in place of the Jersey?
Buff Brahma rooster with Brown Leghorn hen:
Chicks with some pattern of gold & black, or brown & black. They will probably look closer to the Brahma pattern than the Brown Leghorn pattern.
Chicks should have pea combs (but larger and less tidy than the comb on a pure Brahma), and should have feathered feet.

Bielefelder rooster with Brown Leghorn hen:
Chicks should be colored about the same as pure Bielefelder chicks, but the autosexing trait will not work right. Both males and females will look like "females" if you try to sex them by color at hatch.
Single combs, clean feet.

Back
Top Bottom