July 2023 Hatch-A-Long

LOL I am lucky if I make it to day 3 before I peek at one.... Most times knowing I won't see anything I peek on day 2 at 1. then on day 3 I check them all. LOL
LOL I’m equal parts impatient and “worried if I handle the eggs too much they won’t develop because they’re shipped”. But today is day 8 and I’ll be checking them all later tonight. Fingers crossed!!

LOL I’m equal parts impatient and “worried if I handle the eggs too much they won’t develop because they’re shipped”. But today is day 8 and I’ll be checking them all later tonight. Fingers crossed!!
Lol I am just impatient. I candle most days from day 3 on. Not all but a couple. I am so bad. I try to wait and get so proud when I manage to not candle for a day or two. Lol

Candling at day revealed 6 eggs doing their thing. 3 had quit (blood rings evident). And the rest weren’t fertile/didn’t start for whatever reason.

On one of the still developing eggs I saw this air cell. Is this due to it being detached?

Attachments

• IMG_9493.jpeg
    IMG_9493.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 9
Candling at day revealed 6 eggs doing their thing. 3 had quit (blood rings evident). And the rest weren’t fertile/didn’t start for whatever reason.

On one of the still developing eggs I saw this air cell. Is this due to it being detached?
looks like it is saddled. were they shipped? it is common in shipped eggs and most of mine had no issues hatching or developing with shipped eggs that had saddled air cells.

so my shipped eggs should be shipped on Mon. But found out the seller may be headed up this way so may drive them up, but I shouldn't have them till Wed or Thurs. I should have a dozen from her. Then I am picking up other eggs from someone local. I figured I would get 6 from her. She told me she has a dozen eggs for me. I am picking those up tomorrow which means I need to keep them for 4-5 days before the other ones come....... Then I am picking up another 6 from someone else on Tue or Wed so I have those set for when I get my other ones....... that will be 30 eggs!!!!!! my incubator only holds 22...... Thinking I may just put 22 in there and put the other 8 under a broody to start (the ones that are broody now haven't been the best at sitting in one spot once they get eggs, this time they have done really well but one has already been sitting for 3 weeks so don't want her to sit much longer, the other last time had her eggs kicked out of the nest, broken and some eaten so won't let her hatch chicks. But hoping I can give them some eggs and then once I pull clears/quitters I will just have 22 to fit in my incubator. LOL

so my goal is to have them in the incubator early on the 29th at the latest so hatch day on the 28/29 (most of mine hatch on day 20) then we are away on the 21-23 but only 15 min away so I can come check on them etc. But hopefully they are all hatched and in the brooder so all is fine. Not the best timing but if I waited then the following week to ship them out had the 4th of July on Tue so shipping wouldn't have really worked so would have waited till July 12-13 to get them and not hatch till Aug 2/3 and I would prefer not to hatch that late again. so hopefully this works out fine even if I need to come home Fri night and Sat day, then we will be home on Sun sometime. And I have someone that watches my pets so they can check in on them as well.

On Sat I picked up 12 CCL and CCL/whiting true blue mix eggs. Today I am getting 6 OE eggs. Think I am setting those tomorrow. Then not ideal but have eggs being shipped that should be here Thurs so will add those so eggs will hatch a couple days apart. But it is so hot and humid here I don't want the eggs I have sitting around too long.

Well that took a big turn! So go to pick up the 6 OE eggs and she added some extra in case..... last time I got 4 and only 1 hatched..... so she gave me 9....... So the CCL I figured I would get 6 and she let me know she had 12 for me then today thought 6 and it was 9....... Then get a text from the person with the shipped eggs and she packaged up the first 18 eggs wrong (I had ordered 12 so guess she threw in an extra 6) so instead of redoing it all she just packaged up the right 18 and sent them ALL!!!!!!!!! that is 57 eggs......... Trying to figure out what to do! LOL

First 21 eggs are set. My CCL some maybe CCL/whiting true blue cross and my OE. Hatch date July 18.

The other eggs should be here tomorrow morning and my 16 egg incubator should be here tomorrow as well. Hopefully I can borrow a 12 egg incubator as well.

So…I cracked one of my 6 growing eggs when I candles on day 8. I sealed the crack with nail polish (and then candle wax when I freaked out that the polish wouldn’t hack it). I’m not candling all eggs again until day 15, but today is day 12 and I candled the cracked egg and it’s still dancing around!

I’m shocked! I know this little guy isn’t out of the woods yet but I’m suddenly a little more optimistic ☺️

Back
Top Bottom