Kidney issues/gout treatments

whinniebee

Hatching
Sep 28, 2024
We had a chicken die last week. Necropsy said it was kidney disease, cause of death being being gout. This chicken had not been showing any signs prior to my finding her barely responsive. Another test is being done to show what caused the kidney disease because at this point I have no clue. We should have results back next week.

The issue is that another of my hens has started showing slight behavioral changes (light lethergy,panting, walking slowly, etc). The vet told me theres nothing to do until the test results are in, that the only treatment is to separate her and wait. I've been trying to research how to treat/relieve gout symptoms but it feels like I'm shooting in the dark.
She's only been showing symptoms since yesterday afternoon, but I noticed it progressing slightly each time I saw her. She's still active, just walking slower, sitting down when everyone else was excitedly foraging. We're in texas,, so it's very hot, but she was the only one I noticed open mouth breathing repeatedly. Her comb and face are normal and red looking, I haven't seen anything off with her feet.
The hens are are just over 9 months old, and just started laying 4 weeks ago. They are in a run/coop combo and have full ventilation-7 of them in a 20x6space. She is an Americaunna. They are on layer feed, we gave her electrolyte and probiotic treated water yesterday.I do not know the cause of the kidney issues, and won't until next week, I just need help treating what I believe is gout similar to what got our other girl. Thank you

Sorry for your loss. There are 2 types of gout in poultry—visceral which affects organs, and articular which causes swollen joints and lumpy toes and feet. I would not assume that your other pullet has the same problem necessarily. Heat, a reproductive disorder, crop problem, intestinal disease, worms, or mites and lice should be ruled out. Look over the skin under the vent between legs, under wings, and elsewhere for tines bugs or eggs. What is your location? What do her droppings look like, and are the urates white? How does her crop feel first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks? It should be empty and flat. Here is a good article which shows the 2 types of gout and possible causes:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/gout-management-in-poultry

Thank you for the resource! The one who died had visceral gout, the vet advised that the cause could be anywhere from dietary issues to infection, so I don't want to rule out she isnt suffering from the same issue since it's only been a week apart. We are located in Texas.
The urate in her last poop was white, it was just very small compared to what she normally drops which was another thing that seemed strange. I don't Iive on the property with them, so I will check her vent and crop when I head over.

We had a chicken die last week. Necropsy said it was kidney disease, cause of death being being gout. This chicken had not been showing any signs prior to my finding her barely responsive. Another test is being done to show what caused the kidney disease because at this point I have no clue. We should have results back next week.

The issue is that another of my hens has started showing slight behavioral changes (light lethergy,panting, walking slowly, etc). The vet told me theres nothing to do until the test results are in, that the only treatment is to separate her and wait. I've been trying to research how to treat/relieve gout symptoms but it feels like I'm shooting in the dark.
She's only been showing symptoms since yesterday afternoon, but I noticed it progressing slightly each time I saw her. She's still active, just walking slower, sitting down when everyone else was excitedly foraging. We're in texas,, so it's very hot, but she was the only one I noticed open mouth breathing repeatedly. Her comb and face are normal and red looking, I haven't seen anything off with her feet.
The hens are are just over 9 months old, and just started laying 4 weeks ago. They are in a run/coop combo and have full ventilation-7 of them in a 20x6space. She is an Americaunna. They are on layer feed, we gave her electrolyte and probiotic treated water yesterday.I do not know the cause of the kidney issues, and won't until next week, I just need help treating what I believe is gout similar to what got our other girl. Thank you
Edit: I've attached a pic of her most recent poop. Her crop was empty this morning and she's shown little interest in eating. Will lay down and breath heavily before walking around agian. Im going to syringe feed her some water and try to get her to watch some eggs.

Attachments

• 20240928_095920.jpg
    20240928_095920.jpg
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom