Labored breathing and pasty butt?

mystprism

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2018
1 of my chicks is 10-15 days old. For the past 3 or 4 days I've had to wipe her down for pasty butt. Her vent is pretty red but I'm guessing that's just from having it wiped so much. Aside from this she also moves her whole body while breathing. She's not panting (mouth isn't open) but whether she's sleeping or wandering around seems to use everything she has to breath.

She's not lethargic or otherwise different from the rest of them. Eats, drinks, and poops normally when her butt is clear. Thoughts? Should I be worried or doing something differently?

What are you feeding? How are you "wiping her down"?

Warm water with a Qtip work, maybe some vaseline or Coconut Oil will help keep her bum from getting so red. You could add some ACV with the Mother to their water (1T/gal), maybe some yogurt for the little one. Check the heat in your brooder, make sure the chicks can move away from the heat if they choose to.

:welcome

Last edited:
What are you feeding? How are you "wiping her down"?

Warm water with a Qtip work, maybe some vaseline or Coconut Oil will help keep her bum from getting so red. You could add some ACV with the Mother to their water (1T/gal), maybe some yogurt for the little one. Check the heat in your brooder, make sure the chicks can move away from the heat if they choose to.
1 of my chicks is 10-15 days old. For the past 3 or 4 days I've had to wipe her down for pasty butt. Her vent is pretty red but I'm guessing that's just from having it wiped so much. Aside from this she also moves her whole body while breathing. She's not panting (mouth isn't open) but whether she's sleeping or wandering around seems to use everything she has to breath.

She's not lethargic or otherwise different from the rest of them. Eats, drinks, and poops normally when her butt is clear. Thoughts? Should I be worried or doing something differently?

Thanks everyone. Great advice. Ill use a QTip and get to work.
I have five day old chicks and two of them are dealing with pasty butt. It’s important that you get that fecal matter well hydrated before you start wiping, you won’t want to pull or “tear” it off. Wetting the end of a paper towel is not a good thing, the moisture will just wick away from the point that you wetted and they can be rough. After it is well hydrated use a Q-tip or a soft tissue.

Back
Top Bottom