Larkwell Valley (2023)

No moisture at all (in fact, I've had dry lightning for hours the last three nights), but these dudes are everywhere! This one was about the diameter of a baseball, and I almost stepped on several half his size just trying to put birds away
20240714_224638.jpg

Is one of these magpies better marked than the other? They're pretty similar, it's just their bills, shoulder and cheeks that look different from what I can tell.View attachment 3891414
I don't know that much about breed specifics in Magpies but they are sure gorgeous, and those Runners ❤️

No moisture at all (in fact, I've had dry lightning for hours the last three nights), but these dudes are everywhere! This one was about the diameter of a baseball, and I almost stepped on several half his size just trying to put birds away
View attachment 3891406
At least you don't have to worry about your ducks eating that big thing. We used to have toads but they have all vanished and it isn't becasue they have been eaten. They make animals foam at the mouth if they try. Yuck.

Is one of these magpies better marked than the other? They're pretty similar, it's just their bills, shoulder and cheeks that look different from what I can tell.View attachment 3891414
From what I read last night, the markings should for a heart-shape on the back and be well defined. The cap should not descend to the eyes. Both of yours have way too much black if you're trying to breed to standard.

Here's a nicely marked blue:

1721048256902.jpeg

From what I understand, breeding to SoP is extremely difficult with Magpie, which is one of the reasons they are endangered.

I don't know that much about breed specifics in Magpies but they are sure gorgeous, and those Runners ❤️
Two of the runners are staying for now, and then I have the other 7 younger females to pick from (I'll probably end up with 7, but I can keep an extra 2 to get 9 if it means I can potentially keep 2 males)

From what I read last night, the markings should for a heart-shape on the back and be well defined. The cap should not descend to the eyes. Both of yours have way too much black if you're trying to breed to standard.

Here's a nicely marked blue:

View attachment 3891513

From what I understand, breeding to SoP is extremely difficult with Magpie, which is one of the reasons they are endangered.
Honestly, I'm not breeding to the standard. I'm only keeping one female, but if I had a pair that was marked really well, those were going to be the pair I sold.

At least you don't have to worry about your ducks eating that big thing. We used to have toads but they have all vanished and it isn't becasue they have been eaten. They make animals foam at the mouth if they try. Yuck.
They come our at night too because of how hot it is, so they don't really have to worry about the birds here trying to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom