Lethargic stumbling rooster PLEASE Help!!

Pics
It can cause him to stumble because it causes anemia which makes them weak and lethargic.

Home Depot carries construction sand. It's also called all purpose sand. It's what we use in the dust baths.

We use shavings in the coop floors and PDZ horse stall refresh in the poop boards. It keeps down ammonia great and is super easy to scoop.
Thank you for this information.
What can I do for anemia?

Oh thank you for reminding me of the beef liver.

All day today my daughters and I bathed all 8 chickens. Dried them. Sprayed them and let them and got them tucked into crates in then garage for the night since I needed to let the coop air out after I emptied it of everything, all shavings and then sprayed the heck out of it. I just finished about 30 minutes ago. I was only able to get all the shavings out of the coop so they’re sitting in the run. I’ll be doing the run tomorrow and and burning the shavings if it’s not too windy.
My rooster has his own crate and the other 7 are together in another huge crate. We turned on some heat for them so they won’t get too cold. Just in case they’re still a little wet from the spray. It took all day and some didn’t get a lot of sun time to finish drying from that stuff. They’ll be cozy tonight.
I’ll be finishing the coop tomorrow and the run and get them back in the coop the following night. I may do another spray and wash down before I let them back in there. It took so much work that I’d rather delay the re- entry and make sure that I have been thorough.
Any other things I should do?
Oh no - I bathed him today. I got mixed up and someone else I knew said to bathe him, but I do remember now that you and maybe someone else said not to. We washed him, soaked him in epsom salt bath and then dried him. He was pretty weak during the bath but surprisingly was pretty peppy when we put him out in a clean crate next to the hens the last few hours of the day. He still didn’t walk much but was standing for a bit- longest time the last 2 days.
I will be finding beef liver tomorrow.
How does this need to be prepared for him?
Should I also give some to the hens?

You are doing great!

It is important to treat/spray the ceiling and all outside walls and the roof of the coop as well so the mites will not be able to immediately conquer the coop again.

Roosters will often eat better and more when away from their hens, meaning out of sight and earshot as they tend to not eat themselves but to offer the food to their hens instead when near them.

Back
Top Bottom