Lethargy, no egg laying and not eating or drinking much

Chicky009

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2023
I have a barnevelder that is about 3.5 years old. 4 days ago we found her laying in the run while the other chickens and ducks were free ranging. She was alert but didn't seem to want to walk. The day before she was in the nesting box for a while with no egg to show for it. I immediately thought she might be egg bound so I soaked her in Epson salt water bath for 20 minutes 4 separate times dried her, and kept her on a warm towel with lavender. I don't think I really feel an egg firmness when geny massaging her belly. She has been inside by herself in a brooder since. I did take her out for some fresh air and grass by herself yesterday. She actually walked a decent distance considering what all is going on. I have been giving her electrolyte water by syringe. She has water and feed in the brooder but doesn't seem to interested on her own. I am now concerned that her poop is taking a different look. Can anyone help me with this situation? Based on the way this poop looks, can anyone say what this most likely is? Thank you

Can you post some pictures of the poop and her, and look for a bald broody patch on her chest. Cannyou try and tempt her to eat with some watery chicken feed and scrambled egg, and offer water?

Can you post some pictures of the poop and her, and look for a bald broody patch on her chest. Cannyou try and tempt her to eat with some watery chicken feed and scrambled egg, and offer water?
I offered scrambled egg and watery chicken feed..she ate some scrambled egg but not interested in the chicken feed. I posted a 2 pictures of her most recent poop with my originalquestion. She has water in with her also.

The day before she was in the nesting box for a while with no egg to show for it. I immediately thought she might be egg bound

I offered scrambled egg and watery chicken feed..she ate some scrambled egg but not interested in the chicken feed. I posted a 2 pictures of her most recent poop with my originalquestion. She has water in with her also.
Well, you have 2 threads...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ating-or-drinking-much.1628187/#post-27806838

I pulled on of your photos from the other thread. Looks like there's lash material (Salpingitis) in the poop, hard to tell.

Has your hen been laying eggs normally or has she been having problems?

She may benefit from an antibiotic. Getting a fecal float to see if worms are contributing to her decline would be a good idea.

I'd work on hydration and offer her wet soupy feed.

1718074188349.jpeg

Well, you have 2 threads...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ating-or-drinking-much.1628187/#post-27806838

I pulled on of your photos from the other thread. Looks like there's lash material (Salpingitis) in the poop, hard to tell.

Has your hen been laying eggs normally or has she been having problems?

She may benefit from an antibiotic. Getting a fecal float to see if worms are contributing to her decline would be a good idea.

I'd work on hydration and offer her wet soupy feed.

View attachment 3859651
Thank you! Do you know the a typical antibiotic for this situation? Is that something I can get at TSC?

Thank you! Do you know the a typical antibiotic for this situation? Is that something I can get at TSC?
Most meds were taking off the shelves last year.

You may be able to order some Amoxicillin.
Some folks use Baytril, but it's not approved for use in poultry, but a vet might recommend using it off label.

Back
Top Bottom