Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

@morbius18

She is very golden. This is from December 24th. Her comb & wattles have really darkened since. Hoping for a first egg soon
1f60d.png

Last edited:

@morbius18

She is very golden. This is from December 24th. Her comb & wattles have really darkened since. Hoping for a first egg soon
1f60d.png

I would say she is either e+ or eb based upon the light colored breast. The legs are the correct color, wHite and pinkish.

They should only have gold necks and not extend down the breast. Like the hens in this picture:

Mine are ER (birchen based) genetically barred black coppers.

Which if these did she look like as a chick:

Also check out bevs marans for pictures of the E locus explanation.

http://www.bevsmarans.com/index.html

She calls the e+ golden crele, but the French standard refers to ER based birds. I would also disagree with some of the ones listed though.

If you click the picture it shows the genetic breakdown. The E locus is the first one listed.

Last edited:
@morbius18

I am going to do exactly what you suggested and put him with the barred female, a BCM pullet and a blue CM pullet. He is the largest rooster I have. He weighed in over 7# at Thanksgiving and he continues to fill out.

When you developed your OE, did you use a leg bar for the blue gene? I have a gorgeous black AM who does not have enough girls so he has a BCM and blue CM in his pen. Your olive eggers are stunning also!

@morbius18

I am going to do exactly what you suggested and put him with the barred female, a BCM pullet and a blue CM pullet.  He is the largest rooster I have. He weighed in over 7# at Thanksgiving and he continues to fill out.

When you developed your OE, did you use a leg bar for the blue gene? I have a gorgeous black AM who does not have enough girls so he has a BCM and blue CM in his pen. Your olive eggers are stunning also!

I used a wheaten appearing easter egger to get the Olive eggers. I don't know much about black ameracauna if they are E or ER based. I know that the E extended black is dominant over the ER. Since they are both black birds, one just with barring, it should be ok. I just don't think the gold would be expressed, according to the chicken calculator. It says you will get solid blue and blacks with no gold in the first generation. When you back cross and get ER/ER birds, the gold will be expressed.

I crossed mine back to get birchen crow wing looking birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom