LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

2 broody hens have 3 eggs left that are close to hatching. I have them separated to keep them safe.

Blue, our broody Muscovy duck, is currently separated in another pen with Daisy our other Muscovy duck who decided to go broody too.

I split the eggs I found underneath her so that Blue has some she can incubate. Daisy kept trying to fit herself underneath Blue but I have a sort of fence keeping them from each other as I've never had them both broody at the same time before so I don't want broken eggs in case they fight.

Hi, I've been through that before. If I may suggest, could you get a box or milk crate over one of them... or over each one? It would really be convenient if you could. Mine kept stealing eggs from each other, getting under each other and though not fighting, generally keeping it up so that out of 11 eggs set, only 1 managed to hatch.

Hi, I've been through that before. If I may suggest, could you get a box or milk crate over one of them... or over each one? It would really be convenient if you could. Mine kept stealing eggs from each other, getting under each other and though not fighting, generally keeping it up so that out of 11 eggs set, only 1 managed to hatch.
They're fine now. Once I put the fence up, they're back to staying on their own nests

Milk crates are far too small to put over any broody, let alone a scovy

Today just got worse. I accidentally stepped on the chick, that my hens hatched out weeks ago, and now I have it on my lap. I don't know how bad I stepped on it but I'm staying with it in case it passes away.
I feel so terrible. I didn't hear it or see it until after I stepped on it
So sorry that happened, Kiki! Even though it was an accident, I'm sure that's a terrible feeling. Chicks seem to be really good at being right where you dont want them to be, exactly when you don't want them to be there. I hope the little one is OK. Sending hugs. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom