Light Brahma-6 weeks

MimiBlue

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Southwest Ohio
I picked up 8 pullets today, all varying breeds. The light brahma looks a bit younger than the others and we are concerned she may be a he. Can you all take a look? She is supposed to be about 6 weeks old. Thanks.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Brahmas are a slower maturing breed - so showing that much pink in the comb and wattles at this early age is not encouraging at all -- looking like a cockerel.

That's what I'm afraid of...I've only had her a few hours and noticed the pink crest and sent a message to the poultry place we got her from...they don't accept birds back into their facility. :( I will wait for the crowing to start but hope I can find her/him a good home. :) This is our very first flock and we love them already!!!

That's what I'm afraid of...I've only had her a few hours and noticed the pink crest and sent a message to the poultry place we got her from...they don't accept birds back into their facility. :( I will wait for the crowing to start but hope I can find her/him a good home. :) This is our very first flock and we love them already!!!

Unfortunately, due to bio-security concerns, that is common practice for most places. Waiting, unfortunately, will only increase your bond with the bird and decrease the time you have to place him - placing cockerels can be challenging.

Yeah, I'm going to feel out some of my chicken owning friends who live outside of town. I don't want the kids to get too attached just to send him off to be dinner somewhere. What age will he start crowing?

I sent the pics to the place I got her and they say she's a pullet...I'm going to hold out some hope. :) It's my first flock, so I know nothing. I did find a couple online pics of brahma pullets with the little wattle like she has. :) We'll see....

Back
Top Bottom