Lost unwanted racing pigeon

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
Found this lovely girl wandering around our house today, she was here all day and couldn’t fly much - she had contact info on her band but they do not want her so unsure on how to proceed.. the nearest pigeon rescue place has been denying new pigeons too as my friend had also found an unwanted one and they turned her away
I do love pigeons and she’s very sweet but my mum is very grossed out by them (despite us owning geese and chickens) so I’m torn on how to proceed really!! Ideally I’d love to keep her and give her a nice home but I’m not sure where to begin

Attachments

• IMG_9084.jpeg
    IMG_9084.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9124.jpeg
    IMG_9124.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 17
My uncle owns racing pigeons. If you do decide to keep him, (judging by neck feathers it looks like a he) just use game bird feed to feed it, and they need space to fly. Also they get worms really easily so may need to deworm it. Hope this helps. Also wildlife rehabbers may take it, but not sure how that works in your area.
Haha I was originally calling it a he but my friend said she thinks she might be a girl 🤣 and thank you for the advice! i know someone who offered to delivered me some feed for pigeons if we decide to keep her so food shouldn’t be an issue I don’t think. I’ve got loads of stuff for birds ailments on me such as worming solution and mite/lice control stuff so ailments shouldn’t be too much of an issue for me either. I’ll look into rehab places but there’s just not really anything local to me sadly

Looks like a young bird from this year going through its adult molt and losing the juvenile colors. Hard to see with lighting gradients, but the new feathers on the wing shield are the matte grey ones rather than the powdery looking darker brown feathers. They are a bit too young to tell the sex IMO.

We have some great articles that cover the basics on how to care for them! Pigeons make very rewarding pets and their needs are easy to meet. They do best at least in pairs unless as a closely bonded pet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/caring-for-pigeons-in-an-aviary-or-indoors.78312/

You could try a pigeon group on Facebook or other social media if you are trying to rehome. I assume the previous owner was racing and does not want the bird back because it turned up lost. You could try local classifieds for another homing pigeon owner. In my experience, a pigeon like this can be reset pretty easily to a new loft, especially if they only loft fly and are not made to race again. Someone nearby with homing pigeons could be interested in trying to integrate this pigeon into their flock.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.png
    IMG_0804.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Hi, I found a homing/racing pigeon a little over week ago. I brought it home, cleaned it up, gave it much wanted food and water. I was able to track down the owner, who did not seem very interested in the bird. I did a little research, and found out that most owners don't want the lost birds back. I now need to find this guy (guessing) a new home. I live in eastern Nassau County on Long Island but would gladly drive a couple hours for a good home for this guy. He was born this year and has gotten pretty used to being handled. I've been calling him Walter, but I've been wrong at this guessing game before. Anyway he/she would make a lovely pet/companion. He is a grey bird, your every day run of the mill grey pigeon. If interested, please give contact me at 631-327-4381 picture forthcoming.

The are just culling their flock that way. Nobody racing enthusiast wants a bird that can't make it back.
Sad but true.
I would toss fly my pigeons, and also Loft fly daily.
Never desired to race, or join any racing clubs.
Yes,,, 40 years ago, I was hanging around pigeon racing peeps. I do know that loosers get culled.
Back then, they just sold to a local Poultry store. 40 years ago, they got $1 each.
Poultry store resold, or processed for customers.

Back
Top Bottom