Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

It is a staggered hatch.. :( I found my guineas nest with 44 eggs and I just HAD to try and hatch them. So you think having a turner during hatchdown is worse than the risk involved with opening up to turn during lockdown? Because I have another incubator with Muscovy duck eggs in there. I though about making a small shallow box with holes in the bottom to put my silkie eggs inside and put it in the muscovy bator. That way they can't bump the Muscovy eggs or get them nasty but the humidity issue wouldn't be so bad because ducks like higher humidity. They Muscovy eggs are not on a turner and I have been manually turning them every day. I spritz with a fine mist of water after I turn them. Do you think they silkies would be better off locked down in there?

How many days are they? According to Gail Damerow (Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens) you can safely stop turning after the first 14 days so they may be fine if they are at least that far along.

Ah all these early hatchers are killing me!! I don't see anything happening yet with my eggs
barnie.gif
By the way today is my 21st birthday and I got the bet present ever - a 101 on my organic chemistry exam!!!
big_smile.png

Happy Birthday and congrats on that great test score!

Today is supposed to be hatch day for me........I don't even hear cheeps yet
sad.png
But I guess they'l get out when they're ready, meanwhile, since it's spring break, I've got the rest of the week to watch them hatch
pop.gif
(if they do
fl.gif
)

Not even reading a single post, because I have to run, but I'm posting the Flapper page so far...I have a few more to add, but just in case, if you don't see yours, pm me so I have a list.

Hope everyone has had a great day- I've been like a whirlwind and haven't even increased humidity or anything...bad, bad, bad!!! Off to the farm!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/2012-flapper-contest

Last edited:
That's a bunch of awesome flappers and how The Sheriff was able to bring all those entries down to those 6 finalists is AMAZING! SUCH TALENT! ... and I voted!

First chick hatched out this morning:
LL

Ameraucana chick
I love this picture. Fantastic.
thumbsup.gif

ok birds just cherped out side and my heart skipped a beat tinking that i have chriping from bator and then i realize i am at work and just the birds outside lol
lol.png
That happens to me, too! I'll hear birds and think, "My chicks???" but then I realize it's completely impossible because, like you, I am at work, or the grocery store parking lot, or my parents' house...
wink.png

This is turning into a cool hatch!
I'm so glad to hear you say that!
clap.gif
I hope you and everyone have a fantastic hatch!!!

Ah all these early hatchers are killing me!! I don't see anything happening yet with my eggs
barnie.gif
By the way today is my 21st birthday and I got the bet present ever - a 101 on my organic chemistry exam!!!
big_smile.png
Congratulations, and congratulations! Organic chemistry is definitely a challenging course, so you should certainly be very proud of such an outstanding grade. Congratulations, and happy birthday.
hugs.gif

Nothing happening yet here eathier. I am a day ahead of you guys so I was hoping for somthing by now. I think my temps were a bit low during incubation. What scares me is when they went into lockdown the temp at the bottom of the batoe was 95/96 but I didn't touvhppch it for two hours because I had the top off for a good 5 minutes and wanted it to warm up. But it didn't. So I gave it a little turn NAND went to bed. I woke up the next morning with it at 96/97 so I turned it up again and it finally went up to 99/100. I took probably a good 24 hours for me to get the humidity up to 68-70%. I hope I didn't kill them.
I think they'll be just fine. None of those temperature variations seem very extreme. So far, so good!

I love this picture. Fantastic.
thumbsup.gif

lol.png
That happens to me, too! I'll hear birds and think, "My chicks???" but then I realize it's completely impossible because, like you, I am at work, or the grocery store parking lot, or my parents' house...
wink.png

I'm so glad to hear you say that!
clap.gif
I hope you and everyone have a fantastic hatch!!!

Congratulations, and congratulations! Organic chemistry is definitely a challenging course, so you should certainly be very proud of such an outstanding grade. Congratulations, and happy birthday.
hugs.gif

I think they'll be just fine. None of those temperature variations seem very extreme. So far, so good!

I took a little nap and woke to find a pip in an Ameraucana
woot.gif

I can't remember who it was whose chick died in pipping, but I'm so sorry that happened.
hugs.gif

Thanks! It was mine one of the ones I was so hoping would hatch as it was an EE/D'Uccle crossed back to a D'Uccle, it's up to mother nature to decide and I guess it just wasn't this little chicks time.
hit.gif
But there are more and i am still hoping!
fl.gif

Alrighty then... so I got home from work and 5 Drekki Icelandics and 1 sulmtaler had HATCHED in the Brinsea! There was only the two pips at lunch! I had another WMR BWAm hatch in the 1588 along with a few other Icelandics.

The little black bantam Cochin is JUST adorable... but so far, it's the only one of Renee's eggs that has hatched.

Total out so far =19.

I've got to go teach my class in Spanish tonight so I won't get to sit and watch the bator.

At 6AM tomorrow I'll be up and off to the Honda dealership to get the oil changed and maintenance done... .then I'll meet with a contractor to see how he can insulate one of the rooms in the office better as I melt every summer in there.

I'm guessing that at the rate I'm going, I'll be totally done by Saturday at noon with this hatch...

and here are some pics..

Icelandic "Slime" right there in the middle. He has been DRINKING like crazy... I guess it was real hot in that bator. Oh... and I've washed and cleaned him up now.

And here are some Audin Icelandics

And this Sulmtaler has to be a roo.

Last edited:
Okay!!!!!!!!!

Got home at 1700, first stop, incubator, atleast 8 pips that I can see without opening the door.

I can hear chirping, and I can see some rocking going on.

These BSL eggs were bred right here on the place. Cross between some fine RIR roosters and some hatchery BR hens.

I am very excited by my successful hatch. Going to raise a few of these hens out just to see how they produce.

Back
Top Bottom