Mahonri's 3rd Annual, BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Two Cream Legbar chicks hatched from the 4+ auction. I set them in the first week of the Easter Hatch. The lighter on on the left has a spot on His head so is a Cockerel. The one on the right is a Pullet.

I was worried because she is both small and growing slower. She's about the same size as when she hatched whereas the the LF have grown huge already! When I add food (even though they already have some) and the chicks start stampeding, the little serama runs to the corner and when everyone is eating, she darts around and gets a bite of food, runs back, then darts in for more. But just when I think she's gonna get trampled she jumps so high right on top of the of the other chicks. I'm selling half of the chicks today and then I'm moving the rest to the pool shed brooder, except for my cross beak, polish and serama. they'll stay inside a bit longer. They are more fragile (or in other words thats what I told DH as an excuse to keep them inside! LOL) I think i have an exceptionally cute group of chicks. :)

kvmommy I don't know if you were worried because she is a bantam or because she is growing a little slower but I have one (the one I had to bandaid the legs on because of splay leg) that was lagging behind the others. Now that his bandaid is off, and he can move freely, he is catching up quick. Size doesn't really matter, they figure out "pecking order" and your serama may wind up in charge. My poults took months to realize that they were bigger than the chickens. The chickens used to pick on them till one day they realized that they didn't have to put up with it any more. A few pecks to the heads of pestering chickens (no blood was drawn) and the chickens learned to leave them alone.

Two Cream Legbar chicks hatched from the 4+ auction. I set them in the first week of the Easter Hatch. The lighter on on the left has a spot on His head so is a Cockerel. The one on the right is a Pullet.

You got one of each!
woot.gif

"Something about an incubator running more efficiently when full and each poult needing it's own team of trainers!"
D.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronott1

Perfect! It takes two to........ummmmmmmmmmm............tango!

Deb

Last edited:
The rules on the Brinsea contest were posted on POST #1

OVER, AND OVER I posted that the number of chicks you had hatched HAD TO BE POSTED BY THE SPECIFIED DATE AND TIME!

We won't count chicks posted after the specified time, NOR will we do a PM frenzy.

Obviously we will NEVER know how many chicks actually hatched, but what we will know is how many were reported by the specified date and time.

That said, we are all going to be up front about everything...

TWO PEOPLE guessed the number of chicks CLOSEST that would be hatched

As in all BYC guess the number contests, or guess the date and time, the person who posted the amount or time FIRST is the winner.

SO, silkie mom, made her guess on 3/17 and leisure made her guess on 3/18.
As Nifty and Brinsea offered the ONE and only incubator, only one prize can be given.

When we inquired if it were possible to get TWO, the response from our head honcho was this,

So, the winner of the incubator is silkie mom.

I have lost my link to the spreadsheet, but I'm certain that SGC or Kathyinmo can find it to post here.

Congrats to silkie mom!

Congratulations to Silkie Mom and to all the hatchers!

ep.gif
That is so awesome. You are going to have the coolest chickens between those, the EOs, and what else you have...
droolin.gif

I went to a poultry sale today and sold 7 of the 12 chicks I brought. The coolest part was that the old timers were trying to teach me how to sex my chicks. They said that the girls have longer, broader wings at this age and that the boys have shorter wings and particularly shorter secondaries. They said it wasn't 100%, but that they could usually guess pretty well. I'm going to check out my other chicks later, record my guesses, and see how correct they turn out to be. Let you know how it goes.
big_smile.png
I also sold my LG which I don't have the patience to mess with. I am sure they will have better luck with it than I did.

Here is my entry for the Cutest Chick Contest.

Thank you to Mahonri and all of his crew, the sponsors, BYC and all of the participants for a fun and informative hatch-a-long!
And congratulations to all of the winners of all of the great contests.
I need to take a speed-reading course before the next one as the last week or so there was no way for me to keep up.
smiley-face-laughing.gif

OK I have the hatching BUG NOW !!! so I have a Q. does anyone here want to do a mother's day hatch-a-long with me?? you know to honor all the mother's everywhere!!!!! if so, let me know and I will set up a thread for it! the set eggs date will be APRIL 22, 2012 also known as Earth Day! or the 21st if you guys want that date instead and you can have any kind of eggs!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom