Master list of tools needed?

ResidentCrow

Hatching
Aug 25, 2024
hey chookherds! i’m finally getting chickens next summer, and i’m super excited. I’m the only person interested in farm stuff in my family, so i have no prior experience with chickens. i’m trying to become as educated as i can this year.

i’m wondering: what are some tools that you absolutely need on hand for chicken owning?
I’ve heard taping knives, to scrape off the DB, and a fish tank heater for waters in the winter.. what else?
also any advice would be appreciated! cheers!

hey chookherds! i’m finally getting chickens next summer, and i’m super excited. I’m the only person interested in farm stuff in my family, so i have no prior experience with chickens. i’m trying to become as educated as i can this year.

i’m wondering: what are some tools that you absolutely need on hand for chicken owning?
I’ve heard taping knives, to scrape off the DB, and a fish tank heater for waters in the winter.. what else?
also any advice would be appreciated! cheers!
What is DB?

A net (even just a cheap one from the dollar store) makes catching birds in the daytime 1000x easier

The list will vary greatly depending on your set up. Since I scoop poop daily my most used tool are a pair of pooper scoopers (yup we have 2, as it goes twice as fast with 2 people doing it!) which also double as chicken herding sticks.

• Shovel and/or manure fork depending on the bedding you go with
  • Bucket and/or wheelbarrow for carrying droppings and soiled bedding into the compost pile/run/trash
  • Scrub brush for cleaning feeders and waterers
  • Feed scoop

I use a kitty litter scoop to sift poop off the poop board. A bucket with a lid for carrying the poop to the compost bin. A flat scraper (the kind used for taping/mudding drywall) is excellent for scraping stuck poop off surfaces.

Chicken shoes that I wear only in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom