Metzer Golden 300

JacinLarkwell

Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
Does anyone know what to plug in for the genetics calculator? I'm just wanting to see what I might get depending on what I cross my male and females to, but have no idea what to put in other than 'brown'. I know they're mixes, so they won't breed true, but even just some guesses would be nice since it will probably determine which two males in general I keep for the mixed flock out of a 300, a buff and a saxony

Golden 300

Is it true that the color varies depending on the individual or are all the females one color and the males another. Because based on the pictures I see some of the ducks have the extended black gene and some do not.

Is it true that the color varies depending on the individual or are all the females one color and the males another. Because based on the pictures I see some of the ducks have the extended black gene and some do not.
Male's are darker and females are lighter, but ducklings of either sex have 3 different appearances.

@Pyxis , any ideas for this one?

I don't know what Metzer uses in their Golden 300 crosses. From their pictures looks like it could be black swedish and perhaps Khaki Campbells.

But since they're a cross, and you can use basically any chocolate male breed and non-chocolate female breed, it's hard to say. They're meant to be a sex-linked cross, with females hatching one color and males another, like red stars in chickens.

What I can say for sure is that any properly bred Golden 300 female will have the chocolate gene. Any male will have ONE copy only of chocolate.

I don't know what Metzer uses in their Golden 300 crosses. From their pictures looks like it could be black swedish and perhaps Khaki Campbells.

But since they're a cross, and you can use basically any chocolate male breed and non-chocolate female breed, it's hard to say. They're meant to be a sex-linked cross, with females hatching one color and males another, like red stars in chickens.

What I can say for sure is that any properly bred Golden 300 female will have the chocolate gene. Any male will have ONE copy only of chocolate.
Okay, so my females should pass chocolate to all their ducklings and males should pass it to only some? Just so I know for sure. I don't think my other male breeds will pass chocolate on at all

Okay, so my females should pass chocolate to all their ducklings and males should pass it to only some? Just so I know for sure. I don't think my other male breeds will pass chocolate on at all

No - females can only pass chocolate to their sons. It's a sex linked gene.

Back
Top Bottom