Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hi Everyone!
In early June, my boyfriend came home with a little duckling (not more than a two days old) that he rescued from underneath a machine at the factory that he works at. I instantly fell in love with it and it truely believes that I am it's mother. My origional plan was to try to release it back into the wild, but it has become a part of the family! I read everything I could about ducks, and worked hard to build it the perfect outdoor coop and little pond. However, I think it would be happier if he had a friend. I believe it is a mallard duck so I am looking for others similiar in size, but am having a very hard time finding any places that sell ducks in Michigan! Anyone have any ideas?

HI farmlove.. welcome to BYC! Try Craigslist, I saw a few adds on there for ducks, you might find some.

Broken eggs like the one Raz pictured usually are broken due to an impact. It can often occur when a hen releases the egg while standing. Usually these will be at the large end of the egg (air cell) where the egg is the weakest. It is rare for the membrane to be broken and I've always kept these eggs for my own consumption.

For the last several days they are scratching out all the shavings or straw, I think it's the younger ones checking out the new boxes before they get ready to lay. What do you use for padding? Is there anything I should never use?

So we decided on our puppy last night. This is the little girl .. she is smaller than the other female, but her markings are nice and distinct. Now for a name!

I have 3 flocks of birds. The two small flocks, Vorwerks and Welsummers are kept in coops that have conventional nest boxes that I fill with wood shavings. The larger laying flock are kept in a coop with a six nest rollout box. In that the nest floors are lined with plastic nest pads.

it's rougher, more like the old shoe matts you could buy at Kmart cheap...
I was just wondering about these, new layers are scratching down thru the straw to the wood.....are the 'official' nest pads a softer material than the shoe mats?
I've got a couple of those shoe mats around, but I wondered if they might be too 'prickly' for their feet?
I imagine there might be some learning curve with the new surface anyway.

ETA....Nice pup!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom