Minnesota!

I'm sorry, Cotton Louie that's awful. But you are right, you've learned for next time.

Holms, haven't gone over to the other thread to read your link. Hope all is ok.

Welcome back, scandia!

ok, true story: I've noticed activity under one of the sheds.

You know those solar powered snowflake things that are sort of like driveway markers - a plastic snowflake about 4-5" diameter which is on a pole, and lights up at night? I stuck them so the light up part was under the shed, and the little solar panel thing was outside in the light.

This morning, looks like someone had a tantrum. The pole parts were scattered in front of the shed. One of the snowflakes was a couple of feet away, the other two were under the shed. (the light part is really on the tip of the pole, a little led light).

I put them back tonight!

ok, true story:    I've noticed activity under one of the sheds.  

You know those solar powered snowflake things that are sort of like driveway markers - a plastic snowflake about 4-5" diameter which is on a pole, and lights up at night?  I stuck them so the light up part was under the shed, and the little solar panel thing was outside in the light. 

This morning, looks like someone had a tantrum.  The pole parts were scattered in front of the shed. One of the snowflakes was a couple of feet away, the other two were under the shed. (the light part is really on the tip of the pole, a little led light).   

I put them back tonight!

What do u think it is?

Hey all, I have been a pile today.  Either picked up a stomach bug last night or food poisoning.  either way i havent made it too far from the bed or bathroom until just a bit ago.

I went out to lock up the girls tonight and had an interesting go of it.  I have 2 BA hens trying to play broody and then I picked up this egg from the nest box.  It has no shell and has some sort of a tail?  there was also an egg yolk in the nest with no noticeable white or shell.  have you ever seen anything like this?

I was foolish yet again. Momma hen and chick were doing great. This morning during chores I had the thought that I should switch back to the regular waterer (been using a bucket during the winter) because I thought the chick might be able to jump into the bucket soon. Found the chick drowned in the bucket this afternoon. I'm really sad.

The momma hen did quit setting on the eggs yesterday so in a desperate attempt to hatch them I made an incubater... Put a heating pad in a crock pot and put a little water on a clotg in there and shined a light on it. Temperature has remained steady around 99 degrees with humidity at 70 percent. Nothing has happened and no eggs have hatched. I really don't expect any to but it took 10 minutes to set up.

I've learned a lot and will do better next time around.

Oh no! That is rotten luck. They aren't the smartest creatures, that is certain. Who knows, maybe you will luck out though and get something else to hatch?

Hey all, I have been a pile today. Either picked up a stomach bug last night or food poisoning. either way i havent made it too far from the bed or bathroom until just a bit ago.

I went out to lock up the girls tonight and had an interesting go of it. I have 2 BA hens trying to play broody and then I picked up this egg from the nest box. It has no shell and has some sort of a tail? there was also an egg yolk in the nest with no noticeable white or shell. have you ever seen anything like this?

Yup.
Once in a great while I will find one with this kind of thing going on. I believe it is just lining from the oviduct or something that sticks to the egg. I am sure someone knows for sure. Unless you start seeing this a lot, it is probably just a hiccup in their system.
Now, the lone yolk I have never seen, especially just sitting there! If a chicken is going to eat anything it is the shell or the yolk. It is that time of year for changes going on and sometimes that means weird things show up too, especially if some of the girls have been on break from laying and coming back into it. I have had a few shell-less and soft shelled eggs already. Like I said though, unless it becomes a steady or common occurrence, I wouldn't fret.

I am very sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you are back to normal soon, your feathered buddies need you!

Still no eggs from my Cornish hens in the love nest :( I have been chalking it up to stress from moving pens and being with a new rooster but I thought by now we would have see at least some!
I put an egg in the nest yesterday to encourage them

Still no eggs from my Cornish hens in the love nest
sad.png
I have been chalking it up to stress from moving pens and being with a new rooster but I thought by now we would have see at least some!
I put an egg in the nest yesterday to encourage them

I was getting eggs before half my lights blew out. I had to resort to putting lower brightness ones in for a bit and now that the brighter ones are in, I would think I would have eggs too, but I don't. However, I can't remember if i mentioned, but I got an outbreak of feather mites and I am going through and cleaning that up, so maybe that is slowing down the egg laying too. But like I said, Cornish are not great layers. If you want to hatch, you have to set everything. I am sure the fertility will be better with using the Buckeye rather than a Cornish rooster because their egg fertility when breeding pure can be hit and miss. It is one thing that I hate with them and if they get too stocky, they can't breed, so there is definitely a line to watch with them unless I feel like doing AI on them, which I don't.

The way I see it is if a bird is to big to breed u have gone to far in size. I think they should be able to naturally breed to be considered dual purpose which the Rainbows are considered. Right? The only reason I would AI is if someone wanted to borrow something I had and I was willing to AI. Which I have learnt how to do!

Back
Top Bottom