Mites in new store bought pine shavings?

Yellow321

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2024
I used to use straw in my bedding. But 3 days ago I switched to pine shavings from tractor supply and another local feed store. Now my 5 week old chicks are constant scratching since changing that bedding. Has anyone ever had mites or lice in a new bale of pine shavings bag?!

They're in my garage so not on the outside ground. I just don't see how else they would have gotten so itchy. I check their bodies but don't see much, but I'm new to this and don't really know what I'm looking for!

Shavings are dustier and mine love to dust bathe in them especially the tiny flake stuff. I like them cause I can stir it and don't have to clean ever day 😁 I imagine it could be itchy and growing feathers must be itchy too! I really hope it isn't bugs!! Please be itchy dust in feathers not bugs!

Shavings are dustier and mine love to dust bathe in them especially the tiny flake stuff. I like them cause I can stir it and don't have to clean ever day 😁 I imagine it could be itchy and growing feathers must be itchy too! I really hope it isn't bugs!! Please be itchy dust in feathers not bugs!
Ah. I hadn't thought of their growing feathers may be itchy. That could be it. I'll keep an eye on them. Mine are actually eating the tiny pieces 🫤 so I wonder if they'll be ok?!

Got any sand or dirt around outside? Put it in a Tupperware and let them eat the grit. Just to be sure they can digest it.
I live in the desert so my whole backyard is sand! I have store-bought grit in their cage that they peck at, but I can start utilizing the free stuff right outside. I just worry because I'm not sure actual WOOD pieces are even digestible, are they?

Sure bought grit is great I'm just cheap 😁 I would think if they can eat sand and grit a small amount of wood shouldn't stand a chance inside the crop especially if they got grit in their crop.

Back
Top Bottom