Mites or Marek's?

HunterRanch19

Hatching
Sep 30, 2024
Hi have a sweet little buff orpington, around 16-20 weeks old. A couple weeks ago (around 24 September), I found mites on her. She probably had them for a few days before I found them, but immediately doused her with some promethrin powder. She was wobbly, which is why I first realized something was wrong. I took her to the vet, and they immediately said it was Marek's disease. I know it's still a possibility, but I'm holding out hope that it's just a really tough recuperation period from the mites. She is still eating and drinking, crop still seems good, eyes are clear, and she is up and moving around a decent amount. When she lays down she will "sploof" and kick her legs out to the side. She is still flapping her wings like she wants to fly everywhere, but isn't making it off the ground. She also isn't making much noise. Every so often I will hear a sound from her, but not often. Something else to note, I live in the Bay Area, where we have had a major heatwave for the same length of time she has been under the weather - in the high 90s and low 100s up until earlier this week.
I did notice today that when I put one of the other girls in time out for picking on her the last few days, My sweet Henrietta was actually up and moving around more than before.

Anyway, looking for any recommendations on how I can support her some more, and what sorts of things I can do to hopefully help her heal a bit more. I did mix some Covid with water, and am thinking of doing a solution of Vet Rx and water to give her tonight. Any help is appreciated!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8548.jpeg
    IMG_8548.jpeg
    352.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8551.jpeg
    IMG_8551.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hi have a sweet little buff orpington, around 16-20 weeks old. A couple weeks ago (around 24 September), I found mites on her. She probably had them for a few days before I found them, but immediately doused her with some promethrin powder. She was wobbly, which is why I first realized something was wrong. I took her to the vet, and they immediately said it was Marek's disease. I know it's still a possibility, but I'm holding out hope that it's just a really tough recuperation period from the mites. She is still eating and drinking, crop still seems good, eyes are clear, and she is up and moving around a decent amount. When she lays down she will "sploof" and kick her legs out to the side. She is still flapping her wings like she wants to fly everywhere, but isn't making it off the ground. She also isn't making much noise. Every so often I will hear a sound from her, but not often. Something else to note, I live in the Bay Area, where we have had a major heatwave for the same length of time she has been under the weather - in the high 90s and low 100s up until earlier this week.
I did notice today that when I put one of the other girls in time out for picking on her the last few days, My sweet Henrietta was actually up and moving around more than before.

Anyway, looking for any recommendations on how I can support her some more, and what sorts of things I can do to hopefully help her heal a bit more. I did mix some Covid with water, and am thinking of doing a solution of Vet Rx and water to give her tonight. Any help is appreciated!!!
Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your pullet.

Did you get rid of all the mites?

What do you feed?

Possible her condition is due to Marek's disease, it can be hard to know without testing. If you lose her, then consider having testing through your state lab for confirmation.

Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat, it will treat Coccidiosis only. It won't hurt her, but likely it will not be helpful.

Vet RX is a remedy similar to Vick's Vapor Rub, it's mainly used to help alleviate minor respiratory symptoms. Again, it probably won't hurt her, but likely it will not help.

If she were mine, I'd make sure the mites are gone. See that she's eating chick starter or an all flock feed and start her vitamin therapy, giving 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily.

I would give her some human vitamin E 400 IU orally daily, along with 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of human B complex with all B vitamins including riboflavin. I like to leave my chickens together with their flock, inside a wire dog crate with food and water. That way they can all see each other and remain part of the flock. I really hope that it isn’t Mareks in your pullet. Let us know how she gets along. Most state vets can do testing and a necropsy if you ever lose a chicken.

I'm hoping and staying away from the idea of Marek's, and praying that it is just her being anemic from the mites. Mites are all gone - I've checked her frequently and haven't seen any since the original sighting. I've been giving her either the chick starter since she really loves the sunflower seeds in it or a combination of crumbles mash with the insides of a vitamin e pill and a smashed up b-complex vitamin. should I just instead do a direct pill for each? it just seems too big to give her without draining or smashing. I thought that maybe the Vet Rx would help with the lost voice since it said it helps with respiratory. but haven't given it to her yet. I've grown really attached to the little one since I got her, so I am not ready to give up.

How long can the recuperation take if it is just anemia from the mites? I've seen anywhere from 3-5 weeks... I see her getting stronger in some ways, but not making the hoped progress with other things.

I'm hoping and staying away from the idea of Marek's, and praying that it is just her being anemic from the mites. Mites are all gone - I've checked her frequently and haven't seen any since the original sighting. I've been giving her either the chick starter since she really loves the sunflower seeds in it or a combination of crumbles mash with the insides of a vitamin e pill and a smashed up b-complex vitamin. should I just instead do a direct pill for each? it just seems too big to give her without draining or smashing. I thought that maybe the Vet Rx would help with the lost voice since it said it helps with respiratory. but haven't given it to her yet. I've grown really attached to the little one since I got her, so I am not ready to give up.

How long can the recuperation take if it is just anemia from the mites? I've seen anywhere from 3-5 weeks... I see her getting stronger in some ways, but not making the hoped progress with other things.
Does she have respiratory symptoms? You mention "lost voice", is that just because she's not as vocal as normal or are you seeing signs of coughing, sneezing, mucous, facial swelling, pus or bubbles in the eyes, etc.?

Make sure she does have access to grit (Crushed Granite) if you are giving Sunflower Seeds. Only a very small amount should be given, focus on her eating her normal Chick Starter.

The vitamins can be put in the feed, but you want to make sure she's getting all the vitamins you add, some sometimes it's better to give the pills orally just so know how much she's getting.

Back
Top Bottom