Mites - The Battle of 2021

JennaT

Chirping
Apr 3, 2016
NSW, Australia
For the first time in my 20 years of owning free-range chooks, we have Northern Fowl mites.

I have no idea where they came from as we live on an isolated rural farm but suspect it's from a recent wood duck invasion...

Fortunately, only one hen was infested (she was broody so an easy mite ambush really) while the others never showed signs.

Just as a record-keeping exercise - because I know a lot of us out there have difficulties finding solid info on defeating them, here's what's worked and not worked for us:

Mites laughed at
Fly spray
DE
Lime
Apple cider vinegar
Metho
Citronella
Laundry detergent
Aeroguard
Dish soap
Putting them through the washing machine

Mites disliked but didn't die from
Tea tree oil
(highly recommended to apply all over yourself for several days following coop clean, especially underwear lines, to keep them from biting you! I also mopped the house with it in hot water)

Noticeable absence of mites after applying
Maloban Wash

What seemed to kill them instantly
Me squashing them
Being drowned in water (hot was quicker)

Just applied throughout the coop
A combo of 7.5g/L Garlic, 2g/L Chilli, 0.3g/L Pyrethrins, 1.2g/L Piperonyl Butoxide

Replaced nesting with Eucalyptus wood shavings and fresh hay.

As for the hens
Broody girl got a long soak in warm water and ACV which drowned most on her body, but the smart ones evacuated to her head. I didn't want to dunk her completely so might have to find a plan B for the next treatment. She's since been in a holding pen with dirt, fresh air and grass. Hopefully that inspires her to stop being broody too!

All hens were originally treated with Ivermectin (as was broody hen). None of the others have shown any signs of mites.

Current situation
So far no sign of them in the coop 24hrs after Malaban application but applying Pyrethrin combo to send a strong message to any survivors.
A couple of them have appeared on me each time the tea tree oil wears off on my skin but they look upset lol. (I'm not surprised they're still appearing as I was covered in them during the battle!)
Plans to wash the broody girl again tomorrow in an appropriate amount of Malaban/warm water.

Tips
Quarantine the mites as best you can!

Leave all shoes worn during cleanout away from the house and put anything for the bin straight into a waiting rubbish bag. Tie it off and keep it out in the sun well away from anything. Strip off carefully and fully submerge all clothing/underwear/hair ties into a bucket of hot water and ACV to let those suckers drown.

Have a shower immediately as hot as you can stand. I use basic nit shampoo in my hair which helps initially then wash my hair as normal. Afterwards I apply the tea tree oil all over, including along parts of my scalp and underwear line. Reapply 2-3 times a day for the next week or two depending on the infestation.

These guys love to hide in clothing so for the next few laundry washes, make sure you plunge everything in a hot bucket of water fora few min before doing a normal wash. Avoid chucking any clothing you wore during a mite-on-skin detection with other clothing (I learnt that the hard way!)

I'll keep you posted on any major updates :)

For the first time in my 20 years of owning free-range chooks, we have Northern Fowl mites.

I have no idea where they came from as we live on an isolated rural farm but suspect it's from a recent wood duck invasion...

Fortunately, only one hen was infested (she was broody so an easy mite ambush really) while the others never showed signs.

Just as a record-keeping exercise - because I know a lot of us out there have difficulties finding solid info on defeating them, here's what's worked and not worked for us:

Mites laughed at
Fly spray
DE
Lime
Apple cider vinegar
Metho
Citronella
Laundry detergent
Aeroguard
Dish soap

Tea tree oil
(highly recommended to apply all over yourself for several days following coop clean, especially underwear lines, to keep them from biting you! I also mopped the house with it in hot water)

Maloban Wash

Me squashing them

A combo of 7.5g/L Garlic, 2g/L Chilli, 0.3g/L Pyrethrins, 1.2g/L Piperonyl Butoxide

As for the hens
Broody girl got a long soak in warm water and ACV which drowned most on her body, but the smart ones evacuated to her head. I didn't want to dunk her completely so might have to find a plan B for the next treatment. She's since been in a holding pen with dirt, fresh air and grass. Hopefully that inspires her to stop being broody too!

All hens were originally treated with Ivermectin (as was broody hen). None of the others have shown any signs of mites.

Current situation
So far no sign of them in the coop 24hrs after Malaban application but applying Pyrethrin combo to send a strong message to any survivors.
A couple of them have appeared on me each time the tea tree oil wears off on my skin but they look upset lol. (I'm not surprised they're still appearing as I was covered in them during the battle!)
Plans to wash the broody girl again tomorrow in an appropriate amount of Malaban/warm water.

Tips

Leave all shoes worn during cleanout away from the house and put anything for the bin straight into a waiting rubbish bag. Tie it off and keep it out in the sun well away from anything. Strip off carefully and fully submerge all clothing/underwear/hair ties into a bucket of hot water and ACV to let those suckers drown.

Have a shower immediately as hot as you can stand. I use basic nit shampoo in my hair which helps initially then wash my hair as normal. Afterwards I apply the tea tree oil all over, including along parts of my scalp and underwear line. Reapply 2-3 times a day for the next week or two depending on the infestation.

These guys love to hide in clothing so for the next few laundry washes, make sure you plunge everything in a hot bucket of water fora few min before doing a normal wash. Avoid chucking any clothing you wore during a mite-on-skin detection with other clothing (I learnt that the hard way!)

Have you ever tried Elector PSP?

First. Jenna - Excellent info. Thank you, Thank you.
second - Dobie - What is Elector PSP.
Thanks in Advance
Craig
Spinosad. It is a bacteria fermentation product that is toxic to insects.
You dilute it and spray all surfaces of a cleaned out coop, spray the birds and rebed. You're done.

I have previously posted the best product to get rid of the mites in my opinion is permethrin which is very cost effective. I don't know if it is available where you live. I had some coops with some birds that were severely infested. I thought they were just molting but weren't getting their feathers back in when I discovered they were loaded with mites. The first thing I tried was DE. The birds weren't improving and still had mites. I first discovered them in one coop but then also found them on birds in another coop. I dusted the birds and the coops with the DE and no improvement after treating them for a couple of weeks. Next I did use some sevin dust that I had but it was almost gone but it did help. I did some research and came up with permethrin. I'm pretty sure the wild birds and rodents brought them in. I used the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and sprayed inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. It's best to clean out the coop before you spray. I use pine shavings in my coops. I wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. I did a weekly spraying for 3/4 weeks and put permethrin dust in the nest boxes, originally sprayed the birds getting under the wings and worked it through their feathers with gloves which you can also do with the dust. Slowly the birds began to recover and get their feathers back in. I think if I hadn't treated with the permethrin when I did I probably would have lost some birds to the mites. The birds were in bad condition. Permethrin only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. I use the concentrate. For my initial application, I mixed it a little heavy. It did not affect the birds but I did keep them out of the coops while it dried. I spray my coops as needed and again when I spray I do weekly spraying for 3 or 4 weeks then stop as I don't want the pests to develop a resistance to the permethrin. Repeated weekly spraying is necessary because again, it does not kill the mite eggs and as an added benefit is there is no egg withdrawal period. The birds are beautiful again. There are other products available but much more expensive and in my opinion the permethrin works great. Good luck...
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg
PermethrinDoses.PNG

I have previously posted the best product to get rid of the mites in my opinion is permethrin which is very cost effective. I don't know if it is available where you live. I had some coops with some birds that were severely infested. I thought they were just molting but weren't getting their feathers back in when I discovered they were loaded with mites. The first thing I tried was DE. The birds weren't improving and still had mites. I first discovered them in one coop but then also found them on birds in another coop. I dusted the birds and the coops with the DE and no improvement after treating them for a couple of weeks. Next I did use some sevin dust that I had but it was almost gone but it did help. I did some research and came up with permethrin. I'm pretty sure the wild birds and rodents brought them in. I used the dust on the birds and in their nest boxes and sprayed inside of the coops, every crack and crevice, on and under the roosts, ceiling, walls, floors, anywhere the mites can hide. It's best to clean out the coop before you spray. I use pine shavings in my coops. I wear special clothing including a mask and gloves. I did a weekly spraying for 3/4 weeks and put permethrin dust in the nest boxes, originally sprayed the birds getting under the wings and worked it through their feathers with gloves which you can also do with the dust. Slowly the birds began to recover and get their feathers back in. I think if I hadn't treated with the permethrin when I did I probably would have lost some birds to the mites. The birds were in bad condition. Permethrin only kill live pests, not the pests eggs. I use the concentrate. For my initial application, I mixed it a little heavy. It did not affect the birds but I did keep them out of the coops while it dried. I spray my coops as needed and again when I spray I do weekly spraying for 3 or 4 weeks then stop as I don't want the pests to develop a resistance to the permethrin. Repeated weekly spraying is necessary because again, it does not kill the mite eggs and as an added benefit is there is no egg withdrawal period. The birds are beautiful again. There are other products available but much more expensive and in my opinion the permethrin works great. Good luck...
View attachment 2510859View attachment 2510860View attachment 2510858
C,
More really good info - Thank you from a whole bunch of us.
Craig

Mites laughed at
Fly spray
DE
Lime
Apple cider vinegar
Metho
Citronella
Laundry detergent
Aeroguard
Dish soap

Tea tree oil

Maloban Wash

Me squashing them

As for the hens

Current situation

Tips

Use 7 dust on the hen, under her wings, vent and back, nest box and add some to the dust bathing area, all roosts and floor after cleaning. Repeat after a week, and continue to add to dust bath every once in a while. Do not get on cats ,food or water. If her comb is pale give her vitamins for chickens in her drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom