MJ's little flock

@LozzyR how is the new coop going?
It seems to be going well, although theyā€™re not letting themselves out in the morning. I think Tegan is holding up the traffic as no-one wants to go past her and get pecked. Iā€™m not sure if she has trouble judging the distance getting down off her breeze block or sheā€™s just overly cautious. I had to coax her off again this morning and I had broken out the mealy worms! Lottie snuck out the big door again and Snowy came down the duck walk.

Tonight Tegan got herself on the lower roost! I took her down and she was periscoping her neck wanting to get back up, so I put her back up but put her padded block under her. I suspect she wonā€™t attempt to to get down from there.

It seems to be going well, although theyā€™re not letting themselves out in the morning. I think Tegan is holding up the traffic as no-one wants to go past her and get pecked. Iā€™m not sure if she has trouble judging the distance getting down off her breeze block or sheā€™s just overly cautious. I had to coax her off again this morning and I had broken out the mealy worms! Lottie snuck out the big door again and Snowy came down the duck walk.

Tonight Tegan got herself on the lower roost! I took her down and she was periscoping her neck wanting to get back up, so I put her back up but put her padded block under her. I suspect she wonā€™t attempt to to get down from there.
Sounds like Tegan's confidence is growing! She'll be on the high roost soon and thinking about whether she can use the duck walk. Mary is quite a big hen and she loved roosting up high. In the end I was so worried about her jumping down in the mornings, I deconstructed the high roost but when I get the new roost finished she can be up high and will have a few options for getting down safely. It's strange you mention her caution getting off the breeze block, Mary also shows excessive caution taking small steps down. Large steps down, around knee height, she can hop which she seems to prefer.

It seems like Lottiie and Snowy are working it out just fine.

Ivy's feathers in the back porch yesterday.

IMG_2022-04-23-17-06-24-656.jpg

Back
Top Bottom