MJ's little flock

:hugs sorry for your loss MJ.

I too think experience mollifies the grief, and personally I find it less upsetting when they go quickly like that than after a long campaign to save them, but one's fondness for a particular bird has a bigger impact I find. Some just reach parts others don't.

:hugs sorry for your loss MJ.

I too think experience mollifies the grief, and personally I find it less upsetting when they go quickly like that than after a long campaign to save them, but one's fondness for a particular bird has a bigger impact I find. Some just reach parts others don't.
She was such a marauder, I must confess to not holding a lot of affection for her, but she and her buddy Joyce were hands down the funniest pair of hens I ever met.

Of course, now she's died I'm rifling through the behaviours I observed but didn't identify as symptomatic of ill health. When she took to sleeping on the floor of the roost I thought she was cold at night and seeking a spot under Mary's copious fluff, after all, we're in the depths of winter, the nights are chilly by Adelaide standards, and she never had an excess of feathers. But now I realise she was probably unwell. The morning she died, she didn't eat breakfast and I assumed she'd already filled up from the dispenser. It was only when she walked so slowly to the roost it dawned on me she needed veterinary support. Too little, too late.

But everyone's right in that I provided her with as much chicken lifestyle as possible in a suburban backyard. At least she didn't drown in the floods or end up in a really bad home.

we're in the depths of winter, the nights are chilly by Adelaide standards
🤣 My daughter went to Adelaide 8 years ago for an internship at the hospital there. These are the same words the teacher used when talking about winter cold and bringing a warm coat.

My daughter ended up taking a summer coat because the winters there are warmer than ours. She said Aidelaide has no real cold but she found the houses cold in winter because there was no proper heating and the furnishings were not warm and comfy.

🤣 My daughter went to Adelaide 8 years ago for an internship at the hospital there. These are the same words the teacher used when talking about winter cold and bringing a warm coat.

My daughter ended up taking a summer coat because the winters there are warmer than ours. She said Aidelaide has no real cold but she found the houses cold in winter because there was no proper heating and the furnishings were not warm and comfy.
I find UK winters feel colder than New Jersey winters even though the NJ temperate much more extreme.
I think it is a combination of the damp and drafty houses.

Christa passed away last night. She didn't give many tell-tale signs of ill-health. I thought she was having a chilly winter rather a sickness, but when I got home from work yesterday she was moving very slowly indeed so I made an appointment for her on Friday morning. She died a few hours later. She seemed heavy-ish in my hand but very thin around her breast bone. The weight was more towards the tail. I'm thinking she may have had cancer in her reproductive organs. I won't pursue a postmortem. She's wrapped in a pillowcase/shroud and in the freezer where she will stay until I have time to bury her.

View attachment 3900224
I'm so very very sorry. It's never easy when one of our friends leaves us. :hugs :hugs :hugs

Our summers are rather hot, so our houses are designed to be cool, especially the older ones. That doesn't work very well in Winter 🤣 "put another jumper on," is what my nana used to say! "Put a second pair of socks on," said Dad 😂

She was such a marauder, I must confess to not holding a lot of affection for her, but she and her buddy Joyce were hands down the funniest pair of hens I ever met.

Of course, now she's died I'm rifling through the behaviours I observed but didn't identify as symptomatic of ill health. When she took to sleeping on the floor of the roost I thought she was cold at night and seeking a spot under Mary's copious fluff, after all, we're in the depths of winter, the nights are chilly by Adelaide standards, and she never had an excess of feathers. But now I realise she was probably unwell. The morning she died, she didn't eat breakfast and I assumed she'd already filled up from the dispenser. It was only when she walked so slowly to the roost it dawned on me she needed veterinary support. Too little, too late.

But everyone's right in that I provided her with as much chicken lifestyle as possible in a suburban backyard. At least she didn't drown in the floods or end up in a really bad home.
You did very well by her. The red marauders are likely to never be forgotten.

Christa passed away last night. She didn't give many tell-tale signs of ill-health. I thought she was having a chilly winter rather a sickness, but when I got home from work yesterday she was moving very slowly indeed so I made an appointment for her on Friday morning. She died a few hours later. She seemed heavy-ish in my hand but very thin around her breast bone. The weight was more towards the tail. I'm thinking she may have had cancer in her reproductive organs. I won't pursue a postmortem. She's wrapped in a pillowcase/shroud and in the freezer where she will stay until I have time to bury her.

View attachment 3900224
So sorry to read this :hugs

Back
Top Bottom