MJ's little flock

Wow! Peggy nailed the separate-together dining arrangement tonight! She saw me coming and ran into the henhouse, was patient while I scooted Janet and Ivy out of the henhouse, then she tucked into her enzyme dinner the moment I placed it down for her.

Cool, calm and collected. What a champ!
Definitely a champ!

Wow! Peggy nailed the separate-together dining arrangement tonight! She saw me coming and ran into the henhouse, was patient while I scooted Janet and Ivy out of the henhouse, then she tucked into her enzyme dinner the moment I placed it down for her.

Cool, calm and collected. What a champ!
I find they love routine. It's fun to see them do things in anticipation of the routine. That's really good to hear. All of you have adapted very quickly. Great job.

This might be a good place to share (and brag about) my new baby chickens and ducklings.
I am a new chicken mom. We already had ducks since last spring. (The Four Amigos, last picture.) We are adding these six babies to the flock.
I THOUGHT that I had done all my research before getting my baby chicks (by googling Chicken info, and lurking on this site long before I joined) but it turns out I didnā€™t know nearly enough about what I was doing!
Thank heaven for this site. I think I have found an answer for each and every question I looked up. And I have new questions every day.
So...my chicks. Two of them are Welsummers (4 weeks old) and two of them were supposed to be Buff Orpingtons (5 weeks old). One of them is. The white one is my mystery chicken. Thank you, TSC. Lol. Everyone loves a surprise.
I was a little annoyed about that at first, but now I actually really like her. She is a little hyper, began perching and what I call ā€œpreliminary flyingā€ at two weeks old, and she has a loud chirp. Sheā€™s my favorite.
The ducks are Muscovies. I am not sure but I think they are six weeks old.
Iā€™m looking forward to reading everyoneā€™s poultry stories! Lol.

Attachments

• FC35C6FE-B3B4-4AC0-885A-950E4C70B168.jpeg
    FC35C6FE-B3B4-4AC0-885A-950E4C70B168.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 5896ACCC-716D-4548-9494-779F84F0EDC0.jpeg
    5896ACCC-716D-4548-9494-779F84F0EDC0.jpeg
    897.5 KB · Views: 7
  • AB5E1652-030C-406E-B3E6-266111F81F82.jpeg
    AB5E1652-030C-406E-B3E6-266111F81F82.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 604A539F-4C1F-477D-8913-2BA2719FEFC1.jpeg
    604A539F-4C1F-477D-8913-2BA2719FEFC1.jpeg
    918.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 3568ED49-B023-45E4-BC77-84ED89B64115.jpeg
    3568ED49-B023-45E4-BC77-84ED89B64115.jpeg
    741.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 958429CC-8D30-487B-A252-7B60169DD528.jpeg
    958429CC-8D30-487B-A252-7B60169DD528.jpeg
    737.3 KB · Views: 7
This is Tap. She has just lived up to her name and tapped me on my leg after walnuts.
I didn't have any in my pocket and told her as much.
View attachment 2165043
I couldn't help detect an element of disbelief in this look. Shortly after she goes outside the door and shouts the house down for Treacle.

View attachment 2165045
Treacle poor chap arrives to find out what all the fuss is about. This is Tap telling Treacle to tell me to give her some walnuts.:rolleyes:
View attachment 2165046

Better hop to it, bucket boy!!:lau

@Shadrach I have to ask you a walnut question .. .. clearly your hens love walnuts and walnuts feature in your posts so I assume you have walnut trees nearby. For the chickens, do you shell the walnuts? Chop them? Or do they eat their way through the fruit without help.
I have a black walnut tree and in October it rains down a terrifying arsenal of walnuts. I am always terrified to walk under it because one of those falling from 100' up onto your head would not be good.
Anyway, the walnuts mainly go to waste because getting at the nut inside is so difficult. I am wondering if the chickens love walnuts whether I would give it a go this year.

Best way to harvest black walnuts to to spread them on a tarp and drive over them with a lawn tractor, car, truck, whatever you have so the hard green hull breaks open. Then wearing gloves pick the nut meat out of the shells.

This might be a good place to share (and brag about) my new baby chickens and ducklings.
I am a new chicken mom. We already had ducks since last spring. (The Four Amigos, last picture.) We are adding these six babies to the flock.
I THOUGHT that I had done all my research before getting my baby chicks (by googling Chicken info, and lurking on this site long before I joined) but it turns out I didnā€™t know nearly enough about what I was doing!
Thank heaven for this site. I think I have found an answer for each and every question I looked up. And I have new questions every day.
So...my chicks. Two of them are Welsummers (4 weeks old) and two of them were supposed to be Buff Orpingtons (5 weeks old). One of them is. The white one is my mystery chicken. Thank you, TSC. Lol. Everyone loves a surprise.
I was a little annoyed about that at first, but now I actually really like her. She is a little hyper, began perching and what I call ā€œpreliminary flyingā€ at two weeks old, and she has a loud chirp. Sheā€™s my favorite.
The ducks are Muscovies. I am not sure but I think they are six weeks old.
Iā€™m looking forward to reading everyoneā€™s poultry stories! Lol.
Hi! :frow
So glad you joined us! Thanks for sharing pictures of your adorable little duckies n chickies! So sweet, they are!

For what it's worth, I don't think breeds matter much. All four of my hens are gorgeous: two are mixes (in Australia we call them bitzers) and two aren't.

For now, most of us are congregated at by Bob's fluffy butt acres thread - which I know you found too! We're spending time there because his hen, Sydney, has just hatched three chicks and the fertile eggs came from another friend of ours, @CrazyChookChookLady . So we're all rather excited about the hatch!

Best way to harvest black walnuts to to spread them on a tarp and drive over them with a lawn tractor, car, truck, whatever you have so the hard green hull breaks open. Then wearing gloves pick the nut meat out of the shells.
Thank you! I am going to try it this year.

Back
Top Bottom