MJ's little flock

Three days ago I was unsure whether Alice was moulting or not.

IMG20200407105018.jpg

I think she is moulting.

IMG20200407105014.jpg

IMG20200407105111.jpg

The poor girl has lost nearly all her tail feathers and bum fluff overnight!

Have you ever read any of the studies equating larger wattles with attractiveness to hens? It seems the bigger the wattles the more the ladies are drawn to him.
I have, and others on comb size. It's not what I see here.
There is this constant problem with many such studies. The study conditions always influence the outcomes. It's something that gets overlooked time after time in the reporting of such studies.
The easiest example is if you confined 20 people in some kind of compound, their behaviour would be noticably different than it would in 'normal' society. It doesn't make the studies worthless but like any lab type studies the results are only applicable to the same study conditions. It's one of the reasons why behavioral studies are so problematical.

I have, and others on comb size. It's not what I see here.
There is this constant problem with many such studies. The study conditions always influence the outcomes. It's something that gets overlooked time after time in the reporting of such studies.
The easiest example is if you confined 20 people in some kind of compound, their behaviour would be noticably different than it would in 'normal' society. It doesn't make the studies worthless but like any lab type studies the results are only applicable to the same study conditions. It's one of the reasons why behavioral studies are so problematical.

Would it be better it was part of a meta-analysis? Though I’m guessing there aren’t multiple studies on rooster comb and wattle attractiveness. Where is the funding for these studies?! :barnie

Would it be better it was part of a meta-analysis? Though I’m guessing there aren’t multiple studies on rooster comb and wattle attractiveness. Where is the funding for these studies?! :barnie
There isn't much interest in studying animal behaviour, especially when it comes to chickens.
For most people the fact that eggs come out of one end is all they are interested in.
My rather unpopular view is we could learn a lot about ourselves by studying other creatures.
Unfortunately there is this deeply entrenched view that we humans have other qualities that elevate us above the other creatures on this planet. I have yet to see any evidence of this.
One of the interesting things about the three threads we subscribe to is there is a lot of behavioral information buried in the various accounts, picture and videos.

There isn't much interest in studying animal behaviour, especially when it comes to chickens.
For most people the fact that eggs come out of one end is all they are interested in.
My rather unpopular view is we could learn a lot about ourselves by studying other creatures.
Unfortunately there is this deeply entrenched view that we humans have other qualities that elevate us above the other creatures on this planet. I have yet to see any evidence of this.
One of the interesting things about the three threads we subscribe to is there is a lot of behavioral information buried in the various accounts, picture and videos.

How about arrogance? Arrogance sets us apart from other animals. I don’t think it elevates us though.

I love hearing about chicken behaviour, and I love seeing my girls’ antics. My two salmons put themselves to bed in the henhouse tonight; Tegan still goes to bed in the tractor and has to be transported. I’d really like to know what’s going on in those little chicken minds!

Back
Top Bottom