MJ's little flock

Remind me now… a “rug” is the pastel colored crocheted item in one of the photos, correct? We call those “blankets.” Small, decorative ones can be called “throws,” and small, functional ones are called “lap blankets.”

“Rugs” are like mini carpets and live on the floor. Like this:
View attachment 2991321
I'd call that a rug too. But Ribh made me a lap rug, to put over my lap when I need to be cosier. It's smaller than a blanket or throw.

Hey MJ and all.
Catching up after over a week away from BYC. Great to see Ivy up and about and the house tour pics were fantastic 🤭 cheeky girl!!
I hope your new girls are going well and that they caught that mouse @LozzyR 😆
@BY Bob, your thread is next but I have the feeling there will be hundreds of pages to catch up on there 😬

Snow has started her moult, damn light Sussex have a lot of feathers. She’s about 4-5 days in and starting to get a bit rough looking but no bald patches.
It also means no eggs from her and Belle is still dabbling at brooding so no eggs from her either haha. Had to buy some from the farmers market this morning!

I decided not to get Belle eggs this time around, if she goes again next spring I’ll let her have a go 😉 that way I will be better prepared as will she.

3 days worth of feathers I’ve picked up 😅View attachment 2991364
Hiya Scarmbles! Nice to hear from you :) Hasn't Snow dropped a lot of feathers! Ivy started moulting too but it's not quite that bad yet.

I used to have my grandmother’s 100 year-old piano, which was ornate like that one. It had a crack in the pin-board which meant it couldn’t be tuned to concert pitch, but it could be tuned within itself. So it was a semitone (half-step) off concert pitch, which really messed with my perfect pitch.

Tax:
View attachment 2990925
I suspect perfect pitch is something of a mixed blessing. There were a couple of lads in YD's choir with perfect pitch & they used to throw the whole choir off. The choir tended to tune a little sharp so the boys always sounded a little flat. It was frustrating all round.

Hiya Scarmbles! Nice to hear from you :) Hasn't Snow dropped a lot of feathers! Ivy started moulting too but it's not quite that bad yet.
Hoping Ivy doesn’t go too hard with her moult.
Just watched Snow charge across the yard a few times to run off some mynars that were trying to eat her scraps of scrambled egg and sardine dinner that’s left so the big girl’s still got some pep at least 😂 54E912CA-A81F-47ED-8885-277149534003.jpeg

While probably true the main reason is they are no longer making eggs when they are sitting.
If roughly one third of their feed intake goes towards making an egg; say normal is 100 grams of feed eaten a day, and say they lay eggs of a weight of 40 grams, then in theory they can eat 40 grams less a day and maintain their initial body weight.
Ideally, a hen should put on a little weight when sitting. Once the chicks hatch she won't get to eat much for a few days because everything she finds will be eaten by her chicks. I a hen hatches six say, that's a lot of mouths to feed and a lot of energy expended finding food for the chicks.
I think, when people post that their hen lost weight when sitting, at least some have fed the hen at the nest site. I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that hens that eat when sitting don't eat as much and don't digest as well because of the pressure on their gizzard and crop when sat on the eggs. A hen roosting on a bar distributes her body in a different manner. Plus, all the broody hens I've watched trance and if the trance isn't properly broken they don't eat properly.
This makes sense!

Last edited:
Hoping Ivy doesn’t go too hard with her moult.
Just watched Snow charge across the yard a few times to run off some mynars that were trying to eat her scraps of scrambled egg and sardine dinner that’s left so the big girl’s still got some pep at least 😂View attachment 2991374
Good girl Snow!

I suspect perfect pitch is something of a mixed blessing. There were a couple of lads in YD's choir with perfect pitch & they used to throw the whole choir off. The choir tended to tune a little sharp so the boys always sounded a little flat. It was frustrating all round.
It did my head in if I had to transpose; I knew what I was playing/singing wasn’t what I was reading!

Back
Top Bottom