MJ's little flock

A quiet Thursday evening in the funrun :)

Lovely. And I always like to see the blue waterer in use.
Somehow your chickens are more peaceful than mine. I think mine have a greater FOMO so they are always mobbing each other. No aggressively, but if someone is scratching in the dirt they all rush over to join in. If someone goes to drink water, they all join her.
Also yours are quieter. Mine keep up a constant chatter to each other and to me if I am there.
Neither good nor bad, just noticeably different, and yours definitely calmer!

Somehow your chickens are more peaceful than mine. I think mine have a greater FOMO so they are always mobbing each other. No aggressively, but if someone is scratching in the dirt they all rush over to join in. If someone goes to drink water, they all join her.
Also yours are quieter. Mine keep up a constant chatter to each other and to me if I am there.
Are the hens at your place a wide range of ages RC?

Are the hens at your place a wide range of ages RC?
No. Not really. Bernie who is head hen and has many rooster-like characteristics is a year older. The other five all joined me at the same time at roughly a week old. I don't know, but I doubt they were all together before they came on the drive to me.

No. Not really. Bernie who is head hen and has many rooster-like characteristics is a year older. The other five all joined me at the same time at roughly a week old. I don't know, but I doubt they were all together before they came on the drive to me.
I think that might have something to do with the different behaviour. At my place, Katie and Edie are the youngsters of the flock, followed by Peggy and Ivy who are two years older (quite a long time in chicken years) and Mary's two years older again. Whereas five in the same age group would be more rambunctious to start with and then get into the habit of dashing everywhere together.

While Shad would disagree, I do think breed has something to do with it as does individual personality. Most of my girls are quiet [& calm] most of the time. The exceptions are Portia & Chavi~ the biggest & the 2nd smallest. Portia is constant & she's LOUD! Chavi has moments when she gets agitated & roams the place squawking her head off. All my standard Wyandottes have been noisy birds. Ha'penny has only ever carried on when she feels threatened. These days she's super quiet, even when I'm harrying her back where she belongs. The rest of my bantams & the Aracaunas are also quiet birds. It is rare to hear a real ruckus going on & it's never due to a threat. It's more everyone decides to have a group sing~along. 🙄

And don’t get me wrong. Mine are not all stirred up. They just talk to each other a lot and are given to bouts of sprinting to make sure they aren’t missing out.
I find sitting with them very relaxing as I try to figure out what they are talking about.
Separately at the start and end of each day they do all shout a lot. They seem to be having some kind of ‘yelling at the servant’ kind of competition. It definitely seems directed at me!

And don’t get me wrong. Mine are not all stirred up. They just talk to each other a lot and are given to bouts of sprinting to make sure they aren’t missing out.
I find sitting with them very relaxing as I try to figure out what they are talking about.
Separately at the start and end of each day they do all shout a lot. They seem to be having some kind of ‘yelling at the servant’ kind of competition. It definitely seems directed at me!
In a rare show of team shouting, I was called from bed at 6 this morning. I couldn't see a reason for the ruckus. Maybe a hawk flew by?? Maybe a fox said I'm hungry through the wire??

While Shad would disagree, I do think breed has something to do with it as does individual personality. Most of my girls are quiet [& calm] most of the time. The exceptions are Portia & Chavi~ the biggest & the 2nd smallest. Portia is constant & she's LOUD! Chavi has moments when she gets agitated & roams the place squawking her head off. All my standard Wyandottes have been noisy birds. Ha'penny has only ever carried on when she feels threatened. These days she's super quiet, even when I'm harrying her back where she belongs. The rest of my bantams & the Aracaunas are also quiet birds. It is rare to hear a real ruckus going on & it's never due to a threat. It's more everyone decides to have a group sing~along. 🙄
Henry talks the most.

Back
Top Bottom