Molting? What is wrong?

LilHitzel

Chirping
May 10, 2023
What’s going on with my girls? All super active and clean, zero signs of mites. Full access to oyster shells and high quality, Kalmbach feed. Are they just molting?

They are about 12 months old now, and no rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_7338.jpeg
    IMG_7338.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_7336.jpeg
    IMG_7336.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7335.jpeg
    IMG_7335.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    733.3 KB · Views: 7
It does look like another hen or more are picking out feathers. Is she the only one this is happening to, and is she low in the pecking order? How many hens in how much room? Do you have a rooster? Are they getting outside to roam around. What are you feeding them?

It does look like another hen or more are picking out feathers. Is she the only one this is happening to, and is she low in the pecking order? How many hens in how much room? Do you have a rooster? Are they getting outside to roam around. What are you feeding them?
All the girls in the picture are dealing with it, so four out of six. I have six hens total, no rooster. They have about a 20ft long run, and constant access to outside. Also a swing and lots of leaves to dig through. I’m feeding them Kalmbach Pellets 17% protein, with full access to oyster shells and fresh water.

I would watch the two without feather loss to see if they are pecking the others. A lot of time, feather picking is due to boredom, not getting outside, fighting over a particular nest box, too much light inside where they lay, or lack of protein. Some breeds tend to be more aggressive as well. The meeker breeds may stand there and let the others peck them. They also may do this on the roost in the evening before sleeping.

I would watch the two without feather loss to see if they are pecking the others. A lot of time, feather picking is due to boredom, not getting outside, fighting over a particular nest box, too much light inside where they lay, or lack of protein. Some breeds tend to be more aggressive as well. The meeker breeds may stand there and let the others peck them. They also may do this on the roost in the evening before sleeping.
Could it be depluming mites?

It is doubtful. You can see broken off feather on the belly. The bare spots are in areas commonly affected.
Actually just noticed that the fifth hen is starting to show baldness, too, so 5 out of 6. The 6th girl, a Buff Orpington, is fully feathered with a nice thick coat. She’s super docile and calm.

Back
Top Bottom