Mouth open opera singer chicks?

Poulets3

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2019
We’re in a heat wave and I can’t seem to get the temperature right. Are my chicks panting? I can’t tell? They are doing this strange thing... beak open, throat jiggling like they are opera singers?! Are they panting or is this some other behavior I should be concerned about?

I agree with the water in a pan, mine stand in it. The other day I put a mister in there when I saw them panting. They cooled off pretty quick.

I agree with the water in a pan, mine stand in it. The other day I put a mister in there when I saw them panting. They cooled off pretty quick.
I saw that and thought "Why would a Mr. make a difference to their temperature?" Duh!
That's a good idea- they'd probably appreciate it more than a sprinkler! ;)

Last year we had a serious heat wave for my area 30 degrees Celsius that's serious when r lucky to get 15
And I had young chicks and ducklings out and what I did is I put an extra fan in there shed and put for thr chicks a very shallow dish bout 2cm deep and most of the chicks ended up sitting in it caus eit was so warm I also put a lock of damp sand in there enclosure aswell to add another cool area for them to rest

I'm not the OP, but I want to thank the responders here as I have the same issue with my BOs. Is there a reason only my Orps are hot?
Orpingtons are bigger bodied and have a fluffier coat. They also have softer feathers so they probably aren't as efficient at lifting feathers up to release trapped heat. Combs also help to dispense heat. Orpingtons tend to have smaller combs than others breeds.

Back
Top Bottom