moving muscovy ducklings to a safer location

marie000

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
When we set up the duck house, we put a storage area around 7 feet off the ground to store our stuff. We tried to make sure the ducks couldn't get in there, but one of them outsmarted us and went to live there most of the time. She has built a nest there and now ducklings have started to hatch. We started hearing little peeps yesterday morning.

Could we move the ducklings or will the mother stop caring for them if we do? I'm afraid that they will eventually fall down and break their necks.

When we set up the duck house, we put a storage area around 7 feet off the ground to store our stuff. We tried to make sure the ducks couldn't get in there, but one of them outsmarted us and went to live there most of the time. She has built a nest there and now ducklings have started to hatch. We started hearing little peeps yesterday morning.

Could we move the ducklings or will the mother stop caring for them if we do? I'm afraid that they will eventually fall down and break their necks.
Put her by herself with her ducklings and close her in for few days she tend to them as long as she doesn't feel threatened. she'll most likely bring them out about 3 days after last one hatches. Make sure to put food and water close by and
welcome-byc.gif

I moved my Mama duck last year when her ducklings started to hatch into a stall by herself and kept the door closed for a few days, she hollered while we did it but once we got her and the duckling that had already hatched and the other eggs settled in she was fine.

thanks for the advice!

a little update: while we were having lunch and planning on how to move the ducklings, we saw a little peepint yellow thing running through the field. Turns out one of the duckling fell off the nest and was on an adventure. We caught him and managed to bring the nest, eggs, another duckling and the mother to a safer location.
Now we're hoping they all turn out okay.

We have 2 more ducks laying on their eggs. One of which has at least 27 eggs in her nest. We may end up with an invasion of ducklings.

thanks for the advice!

a little update: while we were having lunch and planning on how to move the ducklings, we saw a little peepint yellow thing running through the field. Turns out one of the duckling fell off the nest and was on an adventure. We caught him and managed to bring the nest, eggs, another duckling and the mother to a safer location.
Now we're hoping they all turn out okay.

We have 2 more ducks laying on their eggs. One of which has at least 27 eggs in her nest. We may end up with an invasion of ducklings.
Gosh just found your post, so glad you were able to get to the baby before something else did. how is everything going? and invasion of ducklings sounds about right. lol

Back
Top Bottom