My chicken has mites

Can you post some photos of her?
How old is she?
What's her crop like?

I would offer her wet mushy feed instead of bread. Hard to know what's going on with the neck, but it sounds like Wry Neck. I would give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day.

Permethrin is commonly used to treat mites/lice, but some use Sevin along with Frontline spray or they use Elector PSP. DE is not going to treat an infestation.
Where are those things sold? Are there versions of the vitamins made for chickens?

Ok, how would I feed the vitamins her? Do I need to get a certain type like liquid or powder?
Vitamin E is an oil. You can snip the end of the caplet open and squeeze out the oil into a bit of food. The 1/2 B complex tablet can be crushed using the side of a large knife until it's a powder and mixed in with some chicken feed and water to form a mash. IF SHE IS WILLINGLY EATING.
If she is not eating, mix both with a small amount of baby food and syringe it carefully into her beak ensuring you stay away from her airway in the center of the tongue.
After you get the vitamins in her, try offering her a mash made from her feed and mix a little cooked egg into it to encourage her to eat.

Vitamin E is an oil. You can snip the end of the caplet open and squeeze out the oil into a bit of food. The 1/2 B complex tablet can be crushed using the side of a large knife until it's a powder and mixed in with some chicken feed and water to form a mash. IF SHE IS WILLINGLY EATING.
If she is not eating, mix both with a small amount of baby food and syringe it carefully into her beak ensuring you stay away from her airway in the center of the tongue.
After you get the vitamins in her, try offering her a mash made from her feed and mix a little cooked egg into it to encourage her to eat.
Thanks!

Is it ok to mix both of the vitamins with the same food for her to eat?

To encourage eating I've made some scrambled eggs, dripped on the vitamin E oil, sprinkled a tablespoon of powdered vitamins & Probiotics, & some mealworms, sometimes add a bit of chickweed or pecking greens if I've got any growing at the moment, if not, a bit of a cabbage leaf I've picked apart into little pieces. Not a morsel is left behind. When I had a few going through grumpy molt & not eating as much a few days, but not really ill, this did encourage them to eat & get some vitamins.

She sounds like she's got something going on, not well. I've had occasional mites or lice with just some birds over the years, & one thing in my cases...I noticed that not all of the other birds had them, only ones not feeling well. Did mites cause illness or did illness encourage outbreak of mites since birds wasn't well & didn't dustbathe or preen? It could be either, mites will drain a bird, though & can make them sick. Even if no other birds sharing space seem to have mites, do clean entire area & treat everyone before they get worse. Then try to get this hen to eat & figure out what is ailing her. Poor thing, best of luck with her.

To encourage eating I've made some scrambled eggs, dripped on the vitamin E oil, sprinkled a tablespoon of powdered vitamins & Probiotics, & some mealworms, sometimes add a bit of chickweed or pecking greens if I've got any growing at the moment, if not, a bit of a cabbage leaf I've picked apart into little pieces. Not a morsel is left behind. When I had a few going through grumpy molt & not eating as much a few days, but not really ill, this did encourage them to eat & get some vitamins.

She sounds like she's got something going on, not well. I've had occasional mites or lice with just some birds over the years, & one thing in my cases...I noticed that not all of the other birds had them, only ones not feeling well. Did mites cause illness or did illness encourage outbreak of mites since birds wasn't well & didn't dustbathe or preen? It could be either, mites will drain a bird, though & can make them sick. Even if no other birds sharing space seem to have mites, do clean entire area & treat everyone before they get worse. Then try to get this hen to eat & figure out what is ailing her. Poor thing, best of luck with her.
Thanks for the advice, I don’t know for sure if the mites caused it, I have a feeling that they may have came after she got wry neck since she wouldn’t have been able to take a dust bath or preen her back feathers, but I don’t know for sure

Back
Top Bottom