My chicks hatched i dnt know if its good or bad pics inside

gavbarker

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
East yorkshire uk
Hi my chicks have hatched i had 9 in the incubator due to hath 3 days ago i had one last night but i dint have the incubator humidity high enough so the eggs were to hard and the membrane like paper they couldnt get out so i had to help them all iv helped 3 that are in the brooder now and iv got one in the incubator thats not looking too well but im giveing it a go. I opend all the other eggs and they had died well they were not moveing at all when i opend them and there were 3 days over so is there a chance i killed them? here are pics of the 3 i have got in the brooder they seem to be doing ok just a little messy.

000_0138.jpg

000_0141.jpg

000_0144.jpg

The little yellow chick is my one the other 2 i was doing for a friend mine has a bit of dried blood around one eye it can open and close it fine will it just come off or should i wipe it?

If someone could get back to me about the blood around the eye and do u think i did the right thing by opening the eggs it was either that or loose them all they all did a tiny hole but that was it for a day or so there was no way they could have done it themselfs.

the problem is that if they weren't strong enough to hatch out on their own, all that you are doing is breeding weak chickens. Thats how breeds become unwilling to hatch their own young etc...so keep that in mind. I don't mean to sound mean, but thats the way that I look at it. I breed and show english bulldogs and if you are at all familiar with all of their reproduction problems, you will understand why I feel the way I do. I at least want my chickens to reproduce naturally!

I work at a kennels that does breeding etc and i understand about passing down the strains etc. I dont think its the chicks were too weak there fine when they came out exept the last one but i dont think any chick could have got out of the eggs they where too dry it was my fault for not haveing a reliable humidity reader. I wont be breeding from the chick these one are just for pets and laying to go with my others i do my breeding with diffrent chickens i have. The light susex is only here as its parents got killed by a fox and i has#d 6 eggs from them so decided to hatch them but only got 1 chick out of the 6.

I think you are right, the problem is not always a weak chick. As in my situation, where the humidity was not right and the chicks were shrink wrapped in the membrane. I have 5 that I helped out and the rest did not make it because they could not even pip or anything. I opened the eggs and saw that they were litterally stuck and could not move to pip the egg. They were not weak, it was my fault, because of the incubator. You just have to make a judgment call and go from there. I agree about breeding weak animals, I breed goats and I have had a doe born that was weaker and did not progress like she should have and I sold her to a pet only home so that she would not be bred. But I did not incubate her, she was born naturally and her sibling was perfectly fine, so I knew it was just something with her. Maybe genetic, maybe not but I did not want her passing it on to someone else. Her sibling was wethered and sold to the same person, so they live together forever (hopefully). But it is different when you incubate them and you don't do everything right and they can't get out. They can't really pass that down. It is not genetic. Hope they make it for you. I just went through this and mine are on day 5 so I know how your feeling.

Marie

The 3 in the pics are doing fine there a bit noisy and there in the spare room hope they dont keep me awake lol. The one iv got in the incubator doesnt seem too good its not like the others where its not making any noises its just laid there and moveing a little i dont know what to do should i just leave it or try and do something? I dont think it will make it but i just dont know what to do with it.

Well I had one that was very weak after helping it out of the shell. I let it dry in the incubator. Then I took it and put it in the brooder. It could not even lift it's head. I did not have any electrolytes, which is recommended, but I had some water with vitamins and minerals that I drink. I thought, what the heck it can't hurt until I can get some electrolytes. I got a syringe and put some in it, and gave the chick one drop at a time and kept it very warm. I also had some yogurt with live cultures in it and I know from raising goats that it can be very helpful with weak animals. So I put some of that with a bit of water and put into the syringe and gave her one drop at a time. I did that every hour or so. She was not looking any better so I headed to the goat pen and figured that I best let nature take its course and let her go. I get back from the goat pen and she is up and moving some. Still very weak, but moving. I kept doing that until the next morning and then got the electrolytes. But by that time, she was up walking and chirping. I really thought she would die, but she did not. I did have two that did not make it even after they were in the incubator, just too weak. I wish I had thought to try that with them but I did not until it was too late. The most important thing is to keep it warm and to maybe get something in it that will give it a bit of energy. You can try and see what happens.

Marie

Glad your three are doing great! They are adorable!

I have heard/read posts where people gave their weak chicks sugar water to help after a rough ship. That and the electrolytes (be very careful on the dosing) listed above are the only things I can think of.

Hopefully the Experts will chime in.

Good luck with your little one! I'm sure, since I'm not planning on selling anybody, that I would've done the same thing.

-Meg

Thanx i will maby try and do that by the looks as it is now i dont think it wil make it but its worth trying i will just have a look what i could give it im sure i will find something.

Back
Top Bottom