My duck is covering her eggs with wood shaving but not sitting on them. What does that mean?

aujcich

Hatching
Mar 24, 2020
Hi! For the last week or so I just thought my duck was only laying an egg every couple days but today I realized she is coving them up with the wood shavings but I don't ever see her sitting on them; she spend her day out in the yard. She is a rouen and sleeps in our chicken coop along with my male peking and 13 chickens. I was hoping someone could tell me what this means.

It must be spring and the urge to nest? I don't even have a male, but one of my females stopped laying in the nesting box a couple weeks ago. She now saves her egg until they get let into the run in the morning, then makes a little nest in the shavings and lays there - but doesn't stay on it.

This is all good information to know! The last 2 days I have also been finding the eggs (5 different ducks) in one nest and covered by straw. Who ever is covering them does a great job as I didn’t see them at all..I just knew where to look.

Back
Top Bottom