My duckventure+duckling grow along

What's your opinion on hemp bedding over pine bedding? Do you think it'll absorb better in the brooder?
I used pine shavings they absorbed some. But i changed the bedding every other day for sure.
I also used a old rubbermaid container with the lid cut in the corner and a milk jug with a cut in it as they got older. That helped some. But the thing that helped the most was a plastic paint tray with a metal top (used to get the excess paint off the roller) they were new, but the mess was mininal. Ive also seen cookie sheets with a cooling rack work.

I used pine shavings they absorbed some. But i changed the bedding every other day for sure.
I also used a old rubbermaid container with the lid cut in the corner and a milk jug with a cut in it as they got older. That helped some. But the thing that helped the most was a plastic paint tray with a metal top (used to get the excess paint off the roller) they were new, but the mess was mininal. Ive also seen cookie sheets with a cooling rack work.
I've seen those in some vids, they seem to be the best options. I know they are really messy so i just wanna do the most to help with that

Oh, how exciting!! :wee I’ll be watching for sure. May they all arrive safe and sound.

Some tips and notes:
- Make sure they have water deep enough to dunk their bills and heads 24/7. My ducklings outgrew their store-bought waterer SO fast, they would just sit and filter the water through their bills until the waterer was drained and brooder soaked, because it wasn’t deep enough to clean their nares properly. Switched to a deeper dish, and problem solved.

- Ducks are more prone to leg issues and will need lots of niacin to prevent it. Being waterfowl, they can also be prone to a wing issue called “angel wing,” but I’ve only seen it in 1 of the 24 ducklings I’ve raised. It occurs young and can be easily fixed.

- Incase you ordered a drake, drakes cannot safely live with chickens due to their anatomy difference.

- A more personal tip from what I’ve noticed. If you can, raise them / have them live near bigger animals. Also get them to hand-feed with treats. This was done with my most recent ducks, and they are WAY less skittish and will follow me around everywhere.

Any more specific questions, I and others can answer :)

Oh, how exciting!! :wee I’ll be watching for sure. May they all arrive safe and sound.

Some tips and notes:
- Make sure they have water deep enough to dunk their bills and heads 24/7. My ducklings outgrew their store-bought waterer SO fast, they would just sit and filter the water through their bills until the waterer was drained and brooder soaked, because it wasn’t deep enough to clean their nares properly. Switched to a deeper dish, and problem solved.

- Ducks are more prone to leg issues and will need lots of niacin to prevent it. Being waterfowl, they can also be prone to a wing issue called “angel wing,” but I’ve only seen it in 1 of the 24 ducklings I’ve raised. It occurs young and can be easily fixed.

- Incase you ordered a drake, drakes cannot safely live with chickens due to their anatomy difference.

- A more personal tip from what I’ve noticed. If you can, raise them / have them live near bigger animals. Also get them to hand-feed with treats. This was done with my most recent ducks, and they are WAY less skittish and will follow me around everywhere.

Any more specific questions, I and others can answer :)
Thank you! I didn't order any drakes but they are going to live with some of my roosters.

Back
Top Bottom