(My First Double Yolker!!!) Keeping updated... RESULTS OF CANDLING

I'm so excited... and anxious. Today we ordered our silkie chicks. We not only got those, but a couple female speckled sussex for our current roo. Figured it would be nice to have some pure bred sussex babies someday. They'll be here mid-May. Can't wait! And I've got a brooder area set up for the chicks we may get from these eggs. An old rabbit cage I cleaned and sanitized. I also cleaned and sanitized our old chick waterer and feeder so they're ready to go. All we need now is the chick starter feed. Hmm... Will have to plan that one out just right. The eggs are still going good. We'll be candling in a couple days thanks to some earlier advice on here. Waiting is SO hard! lol

Well, today is day 6 in the incubator. Eggs seem to be doing well. Tomorrow we candle them for the first time to see if anything is going on. I hope there is, but if not... it will be the end of my thread.
sad.png
Let's hope for the best!
smile.png

I'm beaming positive hatching vibes your way ...... beam .... beam .... beam ....
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Well... so far it looks like a no go on the eggs.
sad.png
Today marks a week they've been in the bator, and here's what we saw...

small egg 1 & 2 - not porous, air sacs noticeable, and what looked like the yolks... no babies, yolks moved slowly as we turned the eggs, no veins

large egg 1 - porous, couldn't even see the yolk... or anything inside (threw it away), no veins

large egg 2 - not porous, air sac noticeable, and what looked like the yolk, yolk moved slowly as we turned the egg, no veins

double yolker egg - looked porous not as bad as large egg 1, but could see the yolks, looked like yolks were stuck together, yolks moved slowly as we turned the egg, no veins

We are going to give the small eggs, large egg 2, and the double yolker one more week to see what happens. We don't think there will be any babies though.
sad.png
What do you think?

idunno.gif

Definitely no babies. Duh. No veins.... no babies. Perhaps the eggs were infertile. The chickens are still pretty young. Roo will be 1 yr old May 21st, hens will be 1 yr old June 12th.
sad.png

But hey... we do have our little silkies coming in May.
wink.png
We can look forward to that!
big_smile.png

So here ends this thread. It ends on a sad note for the eggs, but we still have our silkie chicks to look forward to. And we can always let our hens hatch eggs at later times. Thank you all for standing by and watching with us.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom