My Intro-Tammy from Miami

Hey Debbie, thank you! I do not have a chicken coop “yet”. I do have a small area in my backyard where they are zoned to roam free for now. And i have two ceramic pots with hay where they sleep & go for cover.
Okay! Tammy, have you heard of chicken math? If not, you will soon know what it is. 😊 If you have any thought whatsoever of getting a third or more friends for them, to let them hatch eggs provided you have at least one hen and one rooster, or may be tempted at TSC or some other farm store who sell chicks, you should plan on going larger than you may be currently thinking.

I'm not sure if you are handy with construction or have a handy man there to build a coop, or maybe you can find a coop, shed or ice fishing shack for sale on FB Marketplace or your local classifieds. We'll all steer you from those relatively inexpensive pre-fabs that Amazon, TSC, etc. sell. They won't last more than a couple of years and always say they hold twice the # of chickens than they really will. You may be happy with one of those but it will be short-lived as they usually come with problems, ie., not sturdy, not insulated if you need that there, insufficient run size, insecure, roof that leaks or might fly off or cave in heavy winds or snow, etc.

Okay! Tammy, have you heard of chicken math? If not, you will soon know what it is. 😊 If you have any thought whatsoever of getting a third or more friends for them, to let them hatch eggs provided you have at least one hen and one rooster, or may be tempted at TSC or some other farm store who sell chicks, you should plan on going larger than you may be currently thinking.

I'm not sure if you are handy with construction or have a handy man there to build a coop, or maybe you can find a coop, shed or ice fishing shack for sale on FB Marketplace or your local classifieds. We'll all steer you from those relatively inexpensive pre-fabs that Amazon, TSC, etc. sell. They won't last more than a couple of years and always say they hold twice the # of chickens than they really will. You may be happy with one of those but it will be short-lived as they usually come with problems, ie., not sturdy, not insulated if you need that there, insufficient run size, insecure, roof that leaks or might fly off or cave in heavy winds or snow, etc.
Ice fishing shacks don’t come on the market very often in Miami 🙂

Welcome to BYC, from another Tammy (in Atlanta)!

Welcome Tammy from Miami. I am Rhonda from Ocala (north side of FL.) I would recommend that you consider a more open housing for your chicks in SE FL. We have two ourselves so the chickens get plenty of air in the oppressive heat we get. We used cattle panels and topped them with tarps the can be pulled up doing the day. We have 5 panel 10x20 hoop coops but for two chickens you can build one with only 1 or 2 panels. It would also give you room to add a couple other hens if you want. As @Debbie292d mentioned some of the coops sold claim you can have more chickens then they really do. Beautiful hens!

Welcome Tammy from Miami. I am Rhonda from Ocala (north side of FL.) I would recommend that you consider a more open housing for your chicks in SE FL. We have two ourselves so the chickens get plenty of air in the oppressive heat we get. We used cattle panels and topped them with tarps the can be pulled up doing the day. We have 5 panel 10x20 hoop coops but for two chickens you can build one with only 1 or 2 panels. It would also give you room to add a couple other hens if you want. As @Debbie292d mentioned some of the coops sold claim you can have more chickens then they really do. Beautiful hens!
Great idea! I’ll look into that. I’ve been trying to figure that out so the info will come in handy when I get it built. I feel bad they are out there hot all day. And the pots are not that big. Thx so much.

Back
Top Bottom