Mystery Egg, Doesn't It Look Lonely in There?

Ok, here's the story of Mystery Egg. DH is a substitute teacher. One day he was subbing in the high school agriculture class on a Monday. Apparently, they had received hatching eggs from McMurray hatchery on the previous Friday and set them that day and all the packing materials were still in the trash can awaiting the janitor to empty it. He comes home that day and is telling me about what the hatchery uses to pack their eggs and says he found something he wanted to show me and reaches inside his jacket pocket. I think he's going to pull out a list of the breeds that were contained in those eggs, but no! He pulls out an egg. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I fire up the bator. This egg had been sitting in the trash can from Friday to Monday. Now, I didn't know if it was even viable, why it was in the trash, how it had been handled, nothing. Probably, they had too many eggs for their turner. Certainly, I didn't know what breed it was-it was lighter than any eggs my Girls produced. I did candle it and saw that the air cell was in the proper place and intact so we set the egg.
DH emailed the teacher, thanked her for calling him to sub and casually asked her what breeds were in their bator. She did email us that they had purchased the Feather Footed Fancy Collection from McMurray. Finally, I could narrow the breed down! That collection included standard breeds of several Cochin colors, black and white Langshans, Light, Dark and Buff Brahmas and Salmon Faverolles. So, knowing what types of eggs those breeds lay after some investigation, I think it's a Salmon Faverolle egg. Too light for a Langshan for sure. Could be a Brahma or Cochin, but usually they are not quite this light and creamy colored. It is a very active chick and every time we've candled the egg, it's had alot of movement and great development. So, that's the story of the Mystery Chick rescued from the trash.

Wow what an andventure for the little egg. It sounds like the makings of a childrens book.
big_smile.png

Now we all know the story behind the egg! What name will you give to the chick? When it hatches, it must have a SPECIAL name given its original circumstance. Someone placed a small puppy in the dumpster where I work. I found it because I heard it crying. I brought it home and we named her Bandi......because she was abandoned. We are hanging on edge with you, waiting! Keep us infromed about the little peep.
jumpy.gif

Day 19 is drawing to a close now. I would expect a pip maybe tomorrow sometime. I have the brooder all warmed up and waiting, complete with stuffed toy for the little one, whose name will be ................."CHANCE". Partly because DH took one and partly because we gave her one. Hopefully, it's a she anyway!
Here's her home awaiting her when she arrives:
DCP_6387.jpg

(ignore the thermometer-it's way off and I know it)

AArghh!! I saw you posted again on this thread and thought YAY! Mystery Chick is here!!! **sigh**

Give her a peep for me! I can't wait to see her.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom