Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

I am trying to locate chicken feed without GMO soybeans and GMO corn. right now I buy from Azure Standard the Scratch and Peck also the Rogue organic. Thanks.

Ok this is the one i could find near you, not saying there isnt one closer, just not on my list
https://www.nebraskafood.org/food/product_list.php?type=producer_id&producer_id=78
I got them from this site:
http://www.nebsusag.org/food.shtml
This is the Nebraska sustainable ag site. My family is very active with this organization. They always need members so if you are interested in organic or sustainably grown food this is the group you want to join. There is a List serve where you can talk directly to producers (and probably find closer producers yourself), but i admit i do not know much about it (Dh is on it, not me) but you do need to be a member to get on it.

ETA: Ostry Family Farm is one i actually know, they are north of Seward, but it looks like they regularly deliver to Lincoln.

Last edited:
organicfarmwife
Thank you so much for the info.
I am looking for organic feed.
Also, chickens grown out. Not the Cornish X.
For eating.
I can't get my mind around processing my girls.
We just want the eggs. But am looking for grown out breed such as NH.
Thanks.

organicfarmwife 
Thank you so much for the info. 
I am looking for organic feed.
Also, chickens grown out. Not the Cornish X.
For eating. 
I can't get my mind around processing my girls. 
We just want the eggs. But am looking for grown out breed such as NH.
Thanks.

Both the farms i gave you sell organic feed. I do not know about New Hampshires. I personally go through Hoovers. They are not certified organic or anything. But i figure it is mostly the same as long as i feed them right and keep them active.

Both the farms i gave you sell organic feed. I do not know about New Hampshires. I personally go through Hoovers. They are not certified organic or anything. But i figure it is mostly the same as long as i feed them right and keep them active.
Do you eat the Cornish X ?
Or do you know of someone who raises up just
a regular breed for eating.?
Thank you

Do you eat the Cornish X ?
Or do you know of someone who raises up just
a regular breed for eating.?
Thank you

I have actually doing quiet a bit of research on this. Last year i got several Cornish x. I personally did not care for them. They are bred to be eating, growing machines. You need to force them to leave the coop.
So this year i am trying a variety of meat birds. Red ranger, rainbow dixie, Jersey giant, and dark cornish and some more cornish x. There are a number of duel purpose birds out there, you can find several threads here about them, barr rock are a duel purpose bird.

Last edited:
I have actually doing quiet a bit of research on this. Last year i got several Cornish x. I personally did not care for them. They are bred to be eating, growing machines. You need to force them to leave the coop.
So this year i am trying a variety of meat birds. Red ranger, rainbow dixie, Jersey giant, and dark cornish and some more cornish x. There are a number of duel purpose birds out there, you can find several threads here about them, barr rock are a duel purpose bird.
Yes, I also did reading on the cornish X and wanted a regualar bird for eating, like the ones you mentioned here.
I can't raise them up here since I am in the city and I am at limit for laying hens.

If you know of anyone who raises them up (not cornish) please tell me.
I have checked the Nebraska Food Cooperative but they have only the cornish and oddly the price charged for them
is exobitant.
Thanks.

Okay and I understand why you do this, you know how they are treated and what they are fed.
Thank you.

If you are truely interested in this, you really should consider joining the society. It is for both producers and consumers, and they are very passionate and friendly. The membership is not outrageous and you would be connected to many farmers who could help you.

Back
Top Bottom