Neighbors Problem Bull (Long Rant, Advice Requested)

Especially after a first warning, I'm not familiar with any that would not dispatch that bull on the spot, without hesitation. It's pretty much rancher's law that all are aware of and none would take personally if utilized.

Keeping one's own bulls, with kindly attitude adjustments as needed, has its advantages.

How are the cows housed and how many? The most common option is to keep valuable cows secure from drifters. If one bull is getting to them then so can another.
hmm.png
Usually, if a herd of cows is worth the bother of AI then they're usually worth protecting from drifters. Now, if another's bull is coming in and destroying barns and stuff to get to cows that's a different story, but still, either way, the bull owner is usually liable and no bull owner wants to foot that bill, and most would even dispatch their own bull if needed not only to avoid that expense but to keep some decent honor and respect among neighbors if it even happened once, no less 2x.

But if the land and herd belong to grandpa and he sees no issue with the neighbors bull or the loss in profit, then it seems like the lower profit margin will need to be accepted. A really tough spot to be in for you guys. Securing the cows one way or another seems the only other option to keep profits up and grandpa happy.

I would go ahead and put up high hotwire ( I like the 1.5 inch hot tape) on that side, and get a charger that would knock Mr. Bull on his butt. You shouldn't have too, but even if you dispose of his bull, he may just go get another one and then you are in the same spot all over again.
hmm.png
This way Mr. Bull doesn't have to pay with his life because of a lazy owner and you keep Mr. Bull away from your girls and also keep peace between you and them....... think of it as an investment against further stupidity by him.......

Bulls generally seem to get very close to the fence to jump over, and then lift up at a steep angle and pop over, their nose and then their chest and front legs and belly and their ah - other body parts, all touch the fence. If you can get your hot wire at nose height you may just hit on the Pavlov response of the world of 'boy cows' (as my friend's son calls them, as in, 'is that a boy cow or a girl cow?').

Last edited:
I think having a secondary line of defense such as Hi tension barbwire, 2-3 lines, 1 being hot, 5 feet or so inside your pasture, creating a buffer zone between his side and your side of the pasture.
If he goes through that, you have gone above the call of duty and need to call the sherriff and the brand inspector for your state.
He is breaking the law by allowing his bull to wander at will. If his bull is at all friendly, get a rope on him, and tie him to his front door OR porch... so when he gets bored/tired/scared he will cause some sort of damage... (probably not a good idea)..
BUT you need to take pics, of him in your pasture, the damage to your property and fencing... and take him to court, threaten to shoot his bull...
Even if it means getting blanks for a gun, or the bird shot/rock salt. Take the gun with you, slung over a shoulder and tell him point blank that
he will have to pay to have his grade fugly bull offspring , pay for a cow abortion, AND OR he will find a nice bunch of steak on his door stop. IF he doesn't contain his bull properly.
You need to mean it.
Hope this helps
Carol

Well after another arguement about the neighbor keeping his bull home we looked into the laws reguarding livestock and fencing. Turns out due to some open range law in this state, WE have to keep his cattle off our property. We are not only responsible for any damage his cattle do to our property, we are also responsible for any damage to his cattle while on our property. I think the state has this mess backwards. So apparently we will just have to pay to have a whole new fence put up because there is no way to really fix the exsisting fence sufficently.

The whole thing is a lose lose situation for us because the neighbor wants to keep a subpar bull.

I wish we were having issues with the neighbors bull on the other side of his. His bull is pretty nice. Wouldn't mind having some one of those calves.
droolin.gif
Course he keeps his bull safely at home.

I see your in Texas and so am I. But you got your answer.
We are a....to put it nicely. A right to graze state. You cannot harm someone's livestock on your property, except under certain circumstances, and those better be documented, best thing you can do is call the sherrif and have him come get the bull out of your pasture. And fix your fence to the best of your ability.

hugs.gif

That is such a twisted set of laws. That means anyone can stampede their herd through YOUR PROPERTY and not have to pay a dime. How screwed up is that? It should be HIS responsibility since it is HIS bull. Sorry that the laws have got you by the balls, you can't even shoot the darn beast for the financial and physical damage it is doing by running loose. This isn't the 1800s anymore, those laws should meet the modern age.

That royally stinks.

Here's my second opinion.
A .22 with bird shot. Make that bull very unhappy to be there.
Aim for the "boy" parts.

Up here if you build and maintain the fence you own it like a piece of property.

Had some people east of us have a bull get out and go ranging all over the place. Chased one guy up on his deck, he had had a stroke a few months before.
Called me up because the brand inspector would not do anything. I called the sheriff and asked if I could shoot this bull because he was now charging people.
Brand inspector called me up and started chewing me out and we got into a huge fight on the phone. He went out with the owners to get the bull and he had a very different attitude about it when he called to let me know the bull was gone.
Guess he found out how dangerous this bull had become.

Back
Top Bottom