Neurodivergent chicken keepers

Yes but its not the owners fault the dog is aggressive or reactive most of the time. Sometimes people do end up with a dog or breed they where not expecting and don't have the knowledge or experience to know what to do or where to find good information. I am not saying there aren't a lot of people who do stupid things and should do better but just because a dog is reactive or aggressive does not mean the owner is a bad owner or trainer

There are unethical rescues that will lie about the dog and ones who will downplay the issues the dog have (99% of imported dog rescues) which is one way somebody can end up with a dog they can't handle, then they might go for help and end up getting bad advice and misinformation (which is extremely common).

Training a reactive dog also takes sometimes putting your dog in a position where things might happen so dog ends up reacting

With all of the said there are far to many people who ignore genetics and have no idea about dog behaviour or body language. I see people being stupid with there dogs regularly and they should be held responsible!
Well I think it's up to the owner to research on there own the breed they are looking into and not rely on the rescue or breeder. Also yes, it may not be the handlers fault they became aggressive or reactive but it is the handlers fault if they don't fix it or hire someone who can. Dogs can be rehabilitated and trained, it's the obligation of the owner to do it or get someone who can.

Also if you are rescuing a dog, you should spend a lot of time with it to see for yourself the dogs temperament and behavior, you shouldn't just trust what the shelter says.

Imo everything can be avoided for fixed, its not easy but it's possible and the responsible thing to do. It's not the dogs fault an owner can't/won't help the dog.

Well I think it's up to the owner to research on there own the breed they are looking into and not rely on the rescue or breeder. Also yes, it may not be the handlers fault they became aggressive or reactive but it is the handlers fault if they don't fix it or hire someone who can. Dogs can be rehabilitated and trained, it's the obligation of the owner to do it or get someone who can.

Also if you are rescuing a dog, you should spend a lot of time with it to see for yourself the dogs temperament and behavior, you shouldn't just trust what the shelter says.

Imo everything can be avoided for fixed, its not easy but it's possible and the responsible thing to do. It's not the dogs fault an owner can't/won't help the dog.
Would be wonderful if it where that simple! Not many people know that its important to research the breed, you have to start research to even find that out! And there is a lot of misinformation, if you just look up a breed you will find pages of websites made be people who don't own the breed and have no idea about dogs too, but you won't know that unless you already know the information you need

Dogs in rescues won't necessarily have the same temperament at the rescue as when the are settled into their home, its extremely common for behaviour issues to appear later, months later even! Also it is the rescues duty to tell you have the behaviour issues the dogs has or could have but most won't. The imported dog rescues don't tell you about the behaviour issues. I looked into feral dogs before getting Twiggy but the website with info about adopting a feral dog never told you how bad the behaviour issues are, or what the common ones are, because they where written by people who want more people adopting the dogs and who won't admit they are not good for 90% of homes

Its also the breeders responsibility to make sure the puppy is going to an educated good home, I also expect them to be willing to answer questions about their breed

Yes you can hire people to help but with behavioural issues but that can take months to years! And the dogs will still generally have an underlying "issue" that will mean its easy for them to relapse and they may need management for the rest of their life. Don't forget the huge amount of bad trainers too!

And the wonderful people who will tell you nothing is wrong with your dog!

All I am saying is there is nuance and people should have a bit more compassion for other dog owners sometimes. You don't know their lives and good information about dogs is not actually that accessible!

hi friends! i had another dr appt yesterday, and pretty much got diagnosed on the spot with fibromyalgia. it's my second diagnosis that can qualify as a physical disability. how many more do we think it's gonna take before i feel comfortable calling myself disabled? /lh
You don't have to call yourself disabled if you don't feel it's appropriate. You also don't have to put up with it as a label applied to you if you do not feel it is fitting. it doesn't affect your condition, but if it negatively affects your mindset, ignore it. You are as able as you choose to be.

Would be wonderful if it where that simple! Not many people know that its important to research the breed, you have to start research to even find that out! And there is a lot of misinformation, if you just look up a breed you will find pages of websites made be people who don't own the breed and have no idea about dogs too, but you won't know that unless you already know the information you need

Dogs in rescues won't necessarily have the same temperament at the rescue as when the are settled into their home, its extremely common for behaviour issues to appear later, months later even! Also it is the rescues duty to tell you have the behaviour issues the dogs has or could have but most won't. The imported dog rescues don't tell you about the behaviour issues. I looked into feral dogs before getting Twiggy but the website with info about adopting a feral dog never told you how bad the behaviour issues are, or what the common ones are, because they where written by people who want more people adopting the dogs and who won't admit they are not good for 90% of homes

Its also the breeders responsibility to make sure the puppy is going to an educated good home, I also expect them to be willing to answer questions about their breed

Yes you can hire people to help but with behavioural issues but that can take months to years! And the dogs will still generally have an underlying "issue" that will mean its easy for them to relapse and they may need management for the rest of their life. Don't forget the huge amount of bad trainers too!

And the wonderful people who will tell you nothing is wrong with your dog!

All I am saying is there is nuance and people should have a bit more compassion for other dog owners sometimes. You don't know their lives and good information about dogs is not actually that accessible!
I do not want to further derail the thread. Agree to disagree, you clearly do not understand what I am saying. I will return to lurking now

Back
Top Bottom