New Breed In Development! Canterbury Crested Chickens!

Are you backcrossing? You said F1-F3 but are you just meaning that’s the generation you’re on (e.g., F3 = third set of babies born in your project)? F3 is breeding your F2 birds to one another; F2 likewise is F1xF1. Just trying to follow what you’re doing here. That’s quite a lot of breeds to work with but it looks like you’re making progress toward your goals. 😊
Perhaps I'm using the terminology wrong? The F1 birds are the original 50/50 silkie X serama. What I'm referring to as F2 chicks have at least 1 F1 parent. F3 chicks have at least 1 F2 parent, ect.

Mini-Update: I'm going to do a more complete update tomorrow, but I just HAD to share what I discovered while checking the feathering out progress on my Canterbury Crested chicks! One of the chicks has CLAWS ON HER WINGS!!!!!

20220523_011513.jpg

She has an extra digit, almost like a "finger", on each wing at the last joint and next to that, is a CLAW!!!! Right on the joint!! You can see it clearly in the picture next to a new feather that's just starting to come in. It's definitely not a feather! And she has one on BOTH wings!!

20220525_012956.jpg

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this in chickens?!! I've only ever seen this in ratites and hoatzins!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom