New chick mom and new things to worry about šŸ˜©

Amymb

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2023
Smyrna, GA
My chicks are approximately 7 days old. We have 6 total and one of my lavender Orpingtons has a super swollen butt. Iā€™m assuming itā€™s Patsy butt so I bathed her behind, and put some olive oil to help soothe. Whatā€™s worrying me now is I haven seen her eat or drink in hours. I gave her a little water with electrolytes/probiotic mix in a dropper. Just wondering if you guys can give me any advice on the booty issue and nutrition/hydration.

Iā€™ve only had them 3 days and we are so in love with them! I canā€™t let anything happen to my lil babies!!

Should I separate her? The others donā€™t seem to be picking on her. I donā€™t want to stress her out more but want to keep her safe.
Iā€™ve read preparation h can help, do you guys agree?
I do have a picture but itā€™s kinda gross not sure if thatā€™s allowed but happy to share because I need to get her well!

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 5EEEC84B-EEB2-40E3-9F76-4642D3D4BB02.jpeg
    5EEEC84B-EEB2-40E3-9F76-4642D3D4BB02.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 7
Iā€™m not sure what the temperature is. I will go get a thermometer at the store. Here is how I have them right now. Does everything look ok as far as my set up? I was going to get a cage but this seemed to work ok, figured I will just get a bigger tub as they grow.

Attachments

• 46FA7029-2C25-449D-A52B-34C8DB7169B1.jpeg
    46FA7029-2C25-449D-A52B-34C8DB7169B1.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 6
Iā€™m not sure what the temperature is. I will go get a thermometer at the store. Here is how I have them right now. Does everything look ok as far as my set up? I was going to get a cage but this seemed to work ok, figured I will just get a bigger tub as they grow.
You can raise your light a bit, ideally, they should have a cooler spot to go to.
You can give the chicks behind a nice soak in warm water, they will help break it up. It's vent might be blocked and that needs to be fixed.

How many watts is the heatlamp? Are they inside or outside, and what is that temp? That brooder is way too small, and they are probably way too hot. They need room to roam, and get away from heat. They will get too big for such a small box quickly. At 2 weeks they will be jumping out and not able to get back in. The lamp should be pointed down (instead of pointing out) toward them in one half of the brooder and then the other half should be cooler. Raise the lamp up to lower temperatures. Food and water should be out of the heat. Chicks should be at 90 degrees on the floor with a thermometer, and go down by 5 degrees each week.

Give the chick some small pieces of chilled coconut oil to peck, and get it drinking water.

How many watts is the heatlamp? Are they inside or outside, and what is that temp? That brooder is way too small, and they are probably way too hot. They need room to roam, and get away from heat. They will get too big for such a small box quickly. At 2 weeks they will be jumping out and not able to get back in. The lamp should be pointed down (instead of pointing out) toward them in one half of the brooder and then the other half should be cooler. Raise the lamp up to lower temperatures. Food and water should be out of the heat. Chicks should be at 90 degrees on the floor with a thermometer, and go down by 5 degrees each week.

Give the chick some small pieces of chilled coconut oil to peck, and get it drinking water.
Thank you! Immediately went and got a bigger cage! The heat lamp is 250 and they are inside. I just got everything at the farm supply that they said I needed.

She did get a big poop out thankfully. But Iā€™m so worried sheā€™s still not eating I am able to feed her with a dropper and Iā€™m chilling the coconut oil now. Forgot to get a dang thermometer but the chicks do seem MUCH happier in this space. I really appreciate the advice.

Attachments

• 1F4E9A20-C029-49AA-A3A9-8375BA508FD1.jpeg
    1F4E9A20-C029-49AA-A3A9-8375BA508FD1.jpeg
    732.9 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom