New Coop and Chicken Introductions

Betty04

Hatching
Apr 17, 2024
Hi, all! New chicken momma, here! I have:
2x 3 week old Buff Orpingtons in a brooder
3x 6 week cinnamon queens/golden comets and 1x 5 week old light Brahma in another brooder, but they are ready to move to the coop once it’s finished (were raised with eight silkies for my friend up until last week, and they were all fine together)
I also purchased two silkie pullets—about 8 months old (one is laying).

How do I go about introducing them all to one another and the new coop? I don’t have the silkies yet—waiting on the weather to cooperate for shipping.

Thanks for any help you may have!

Coop progress photos attached. It’s a large coop with plenty of nesting boxes, and they will have an enclosed run under the coop and to the left of the coop (up to the fence), and will be let out with me during the day

Attachments

• IMG_5769.jpeg
    IMG_5769.jpeg
    688.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5766.jpeg
    IMG_5766.jpeg
    891.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi Betty,

Can you put up fencing between the different groups, so they can see each other for a while, to get used to the new dynamic?
Yes! I can in the run! I just put the Brahma/cinnamon queens in the coop for the first time tonight, and apart from roosting on the edge/trim of the poop tray (under the actual roosting bars), they’re doing great! The silkies come tomorrow, and I think I’m going to put the little ones in a dog crate inside the run with their food and water while the silkies check things out/eat and hydrate after shipping. How do I know if they’ll be okay overnight, though?

Yes! I can in the run! I just put the Brahma/cinnamon queens in the coop for the first time tonight, and apart from roosting on the edge/trim of the poop tray (under the actual roosting bars), they’re doing great! The silkies come tomorrow, and I think I’m going to put the little ones in a dog crate inside the run with their food and water while the silkies check things out/eat and hydrate after shipping. How do I know if they’ll be okay overnight, though?
Oh, I didn't see this last night.
They should have been okay assuming that they could see each other, but not mingle.

How did it go?

Oh, I didn't see this last night.
They should have been okay assuming that they could see each other, but not mingle.

How did it go?
When I brought the silkies home yesterday morning, I realized my husband left the dog crate at the cabin, so I quickly put the younger ones in the coop to rehydrate and feed the silkies in the run. After they got used to me I left them in the run to do chicken things without a human watching them. They were fine and seemed relaxed. I let the young girls out (supervised), and apart from the oldest silkie (about a year—laying) and the young Brahma posturing and fake pecking at each other (no contact) they were fine! I spent a lot of time observing them all day yesterday and made sure there were multiple water sources and food sources as well as branches so any of them could escape/hide if need be. Other than both silkies telling the little girls not to get too close while they’re eating, they are fine! I’m curious to see how dominance will evolve as the younger girls grow. My only gripe now is that the silkies don’t want to roost and prefer to sleep in a lump on the floor lol, but I’ll give them some time! I’m thinking about building them a ramp. Thank you for your help! No injuries today or yesterday, and everyone seems great!

Silkies very often don't roost...I think.

That really is not a big age difference, and I don't think you will notice much in subgroups.

Be wary of chicken math - I would think you are about maxed out for full size birds. What seems like a lot of space now, rapidly becomes less space as they grow.

Don't think that letting them out in the yard occasionally can let you cheat on space in the coop. The long nights of winter, they are cooped up and can get ugly behaviors.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom