New fence to keep the Chickens out!

I'd like to know what you use to till your garden with? Can you remove the panels to get a tractor in or just use a tiller?

Good question! We have just a tiller, it's a pretty big one though (I think about 20 inches wide) my husband actually does the tilling for me. I'm considering putting a couple raised garden beds in where the grass is now, maybe one for strawberries and one for asparagus (so we don't til over them accidentally); may need to get a smaller tiller for that.

Of course there is a fairly wide gate in the chain link back in the far corner. If we really had to, we could get our small john deer mower (which we could add a tilling attachment to). It's the 'back up plan' for when we get old or just plain sick of using the push tiller.

Wow, nice fence! We have a tall wire fence keeping the deer and rabbits out. We always end up planting outside our garden and every year our garden gets bigger and bigger! We have blueberries, raspberries, pumpkins, a few asparagus plants, and now hubby is putting the tomatoes out there this year. I hope he realizes there were tomatoes there last year and your not suppose to replant in the same spot.:p

My garden fence is very similar to yours--a white picket fence. And, as others have said, the birds would fly to the top, land there, and then hop down rather than truly flying over the fence. However, after observing them I noticed that they only landed on the fence posts, not the pickets. My pickets are pointed at the top and spaced about 4 inches apart. Somehow this was too difficult for them to balance on.

So, you could consider putting something on top of the fence posts only that'd make landing on them impossible. You might find something attractive like a giant metal or wooden flower that would look nice but be too spiky or slippery to land on. Or a bird house or a weather vane or a rain gauge....anything that would prevent landing/perching.

I was too impatient to find something like this so in the end I nailed a 12 inch extension to the top of each post made from 2x3 strips of wood. I drilled two holes in each extension and ran 17 gauge wire so it sits 4 inches and 7 inches above the top of the picket fence. It's not real pretty but it does the job. The purpose of this is that they hit the wire when attempting to land on the fence post top but the wire is too hard to see and too flimsy to hold their weight so they don't land on it (I purposely did not tighten the wire as tight as it could go).

By the way...clipping their wings didn't work as my New Hampshire Red could still hop about 4 feet to the top of the fence post. Might work for other birds, though.

Back
Top Bottom