New Member with a problem: Enlarged Crop on 2 wk old Baby Chick

KrisBarr

Hatching
Mar 7, 2015
Richmond Texas
Hi
I'm a new member to BYC just joined have been on and off the website many many times though and love all the valuable information that it has given me. I have 9 hens / 6 Production Reds & 3 Ameraucanas & 2 roosters. Just got 6 Gold Sex Links & 6 Black Australorps

I do have a new problem with one of my new baby chicks. She has an enlarged crop at least that is what I think. She is a Gold Sex Link that is 2 wks old. Seems fine except is very small in comparison to the other 5
Can anyone tell me if I am correct & if so what can I do to help this wee one. She seems to be eating fine & drinking. But she stays to herself. I just took her out of the brooder cause I noticed that she has some feathers missing & it looked to me that she might be getting picked on by the others. Put one of the other little Black Astralorpes in with her for company.

Can anyone help me please!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I would suggest posting your question in the emergencies section of the Forum for a best reply - good luck

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Hi
I'm a new member to BYC just joined have been on and off the website many many times though and love all the valuable information that it has given me. I have 9 hens / 6 Production Reds & 3 Ameraucanas & 2 roosters. Just got 6 Gold Sex Links & 6 Black Australorps

I do have a new problem with one of my new baby chicks. She has an enlarged crop at least that is what I think. She is a Gold Sex Link that is 2 wks old. Seems fine except is very small in comparison to the other 5
Can anyone tell me if I am correct & if so what can I do to help this wee one. She seems to be eating fine & drinking. But she stays to herself. I just took her out of the brooder cause I noticed that she has some feathers missing & it looked to me that she might be getting picked on by the others. Put one of the other little Black Astralorpes in with her for company.

Can anyone help me please!

Hi, Welcome to the flock!
welcome-byc.gif
did you raise them on shavings from day one? It is possible that the chick ate shavings and is clogged up. I don't know what to do about that except to provide baby grit. Maybe someone else know something else that would cause the problem and how to fix it.
hmm.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock".

Is the crop full all the time? My chicks often have large crops occasionally, especially at night. However, if the crop doesn't go down by morning, she could have an impacted crop. I suggest posting in the Emergencies section that 1muttsfan linked to. Good luck with your chick!

The crop is the same size all the time not just at night.

Yes the babies have always been on small shavings that is what all my others have been on & never had a problem before it's what the feed store
recommends. What other kind of bedding should I use?

Can I give her anything else but baby grit as the feed store is closed. Or will she be ok till am?

Should I keep her isolated or is it ok for her to be with one of my other babies so she doesn't feel alone & has company. What about food do I still
make it available to both of them since they are together right now.

Last edited:
The crop is the same size all the time not just at night.

Yes the babies have always been on small shavings that is what all my others have been on & never had a problem before it's what the feed store
recommends. What other kind of bedding should I use?

Can I give her anything else but baby grit as the feed store is closed. Or will she be ok till am?

Should I keep her isolated or is it ok for her to be with one of my other babies so she doesn't feel alone & has company. What about food do I still
make it available to both of them since they are together right now.

You could try a little bit of sand until tomorrow. The one with the full crop needs to have food with held over night so you can tell if it goes down at all. If it's smaller in the morning that is a good sign. The first week of life, it's better to raise chicks on something other than shavings. I use folded up bath towels, nice and soft, not edible. Chicks explore with their beaks and sometimes don't know what is food and what is not. This time, I think yo got a dingbat! If the crop is empty in the morning, you probably got a little piggy! I hope she is ok
smile.png

P.S. Just take out the feed bowl, leave water, both chicks should be fine overnight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom